Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D35 Sway Bar Same as D44

I am swapping my 35 for a 44 and was wondering If my rear sway bar would work for the 44 as well?
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

I would think so.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Yes. So are the brakelines, backing plates, and drums.
      If the new one is set up for disk brakes and you want to use your drums, you'll need flange adapters. Easy to get and work fine.

I just did this swap a couple of months ago. Easy as pie. Just ask for details if you have any other questions about it.

Comment

Thanks...

It has the Disk brakes on the 44 so I am sticking with those. I guess all I need are some WJ E-brake cables. I am going to a 4 inch lift as well, so I am thinking now is a good time to get some exteded brake lines too.
        Supe
        97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
          Thanks...

It has the Disk brakes on the 44 so I am sticking with those. I guess all I need are some WJ E-brake cables. I am going to a 4 inch lift as well, so I am thinking now is a good time to get some exteded brake lines too.
          Yes, you'll want SS lines. I got the RE ones from Jason at Redrock4x4. They work perfectly.

Of note, I'm running the Currie junk, it's 4". But the rear springs are too soft and the dual rate doesn't work worth a crap. It just uses up all the initial soft rate and sits on the heavier rate. So I'm going to order RE 4.5", they have a little stiffer rate, and they are a constant rate spring. Even with a 3/4" spacer under the currie's I'm still sitting low. And the springs are crushing the urethane spacers so they're virtually worthless now. Especially after beating them on the 'con.

Comment

I picked up peices from a buddy. It will include 4" ProComp Srings and all RE control arms.

We will see. I here the Procomp Srings are real nice. Cant wait to feel them under the Jeep.

Thanks for the contact.
            Supe

Comment

While we're on the subject, I'm doing the swap starting w/a bare housing. I've got gears w/master install kits, detroit locker, axle shafts w/bearings, and getting the pinion yoke and retainer brackets tomorrow. From what I can tell, this should be everything. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Comment

D44 Setup

Originally posted by DesertX04
                While we're on the subject, I'm doing the swap starting w/a bare housing. I've got gears w/master install kits, detroit locker, axle shafts w/bearings, and getting the pinion yoke and retainer brackets tomorrow. From what I can tell, this should be everything. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
                You mean you're setting up your own gears?

Unless you have formal training in that line of automotive work, you could be making a big mistake. It doesn't take long to make toast out of your gears if you don't get it right. Spend the $300 to have a pro do it, then hang your accessory parts on it and install the completed axle assembly. You may even get it done for less as a carry-in instead of in the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by TJSUPE
                  I picked up peices from a buddy. It will include 4" ProComp Srings and all RE control arms.

We will see. I here the Procomp Srings are real nice. Cant wait to feel them under the Jeep.

Thanks for the contact.
                  there control arms suck, but good choice with just the springs
                  Carlos

92 YJ
                  GO VEGAN!
                  volunteer at your local food shelter!

Comment

Originally posted by cjdirtbiker
                    You mean you're setting up your own gears?
                    Well, my plan is to do the gears myself but I am going back and forth on that decision. I'm still trying to make sure I have everything together and get a complete picture and understanding of things. I really do want to do it myself. Once I track down all the tools, price 'em and feel comfortable that I understand it, I will decide then. I'm not afraid to give it a shot, and not afraid to raise the white flag if I can't get 'em absolutely perfect.

Alan

Comment

2 things
                      the sway bars are the same ar work with both, I swapped out my d35 to a d44 and only had to change the drive shaft to make it work.
                      about doing the gears yourself. I asked my mechanic about the breaking in of new gears and he told me this
                      first 5 trips on the new gears should be 20 miles or less
                      do not tow any trailers for 1000 miles
                      he said that heat treats the gears
                      I then asked why they did not state that about a new automoble that would have new gears also
                      He just looked at me funny
                      Take that for what it is worth
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

I guess I won't really know for sure about the DS until it's in, I'm sure it will just be another issue to deal with. For the gears, I've 'heard' that factory gears are heat treated prior to install and w/new you have to 'heat treat' them manually. Who knows? Either way, I'll break 'em in easily, just got to get 'em in first.

Comment

Originally posted by ersatz
                          there control arms suck, but good choice with just the springs
                          Why do RE arms suck?
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                            Why do RE arms suck?

I think he's talking about the procomp stuff
                            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by DesertX04
                              Well, my plan is to do the gears myself but I am going back and forth on that decision. I'm still trying to make sure I have everything together and get a complete picture and understanding of things. I really do want to do it myself. Once I track down all the tools, price 'em and feel comfortable that I understand it, I will decide then. I'm not afraid to give it a shot, and not afraid to raise the white flag if I can't get 'em absolutely perfect.

Alan
                              I did my front gears at school, and it was a bitch even with a hydraulic lift and all the right tools. 'Course, it was the very first time I ever did it. Do you have limited slip/friction modifier additive for your gear oil for the axle that will have the detroit?
                              Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Working...
                              X