Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting your own tires

Is it easy, hard? Shouldn't be done......?? etc.
    They are 33x12.5x15 going on Rock Crawler Streel Locks 15x8.
    Supe
    97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA
    Rock-it Man gear, STaK 3 Sp.

Originally posted by TJSUPE
    Is it easy, hard? Shouldn't be done......?? etc.
    They are 33x12.5x15 going on Rock Crawler Streel Locks 15x8.
    IMHO it would be a pain in the ass getting the tire on the rim. Plus, they'll have to be balanced once mounted or you'll have problems. That's one job it's worth paying for a shop to do.
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Try a few shops, and ask if the want to do a "cash" deal (no reciept) to mount and balance your stuff. I usually wait til they have an hour or so til closing....makes them more receptive to cash.

Comment

you'll bust your ass for hours to do a crappy job of what they can do well with the rght equipment in about 15 minutes.
        just pay.

with my beadlocks, i have to do it all myself, except the balancing because no one will touch them.
        in your case, that is not the problem.
        why would you want to do it yourself? just curious......
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          why would you want to do it yourself? just curious......
          I have been calling around to get them done and they are charging 20 bucks a wheel. So thats 100 bucks I have to drop to get my tires on my new rims. I think I am gonigto takes TODDH's advise and drive around with some cash and hoe someone will just throw them on for me for cheap.
          Supe
          97 TJ, 4" ProComp, 1" BL & MML, RE Adj. Control Arms, Rear 44 ARB. Front ARB. 35" MT/R's, York OBA

Comment

When I was racing stockcars we had to run street tires.My father(in his 60's) would spend hours remounting tires for me.I would get to the garage and he'd look like he was going to have a heart attack so I went and bought an old Coats 20-20 tire machine.I have mounted several sets of 33x12.50x15 tires and rims.They still have to get balanced at a shop.If we didn't have the tire machine I would gladly pay to have them mounted!
            "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

I have been calling around to get them done and they are charging 20 bucks a wheel. So thats 100 bucks I have to drop to get my tires on my new rims. I think I am gonigto takes TODDH's advise and drive around with some cash and hoe someone will just throw them on for me for cheap.
              Wow!!! $20.00 a wheel?? Ive gone to americas tire company and they did it for 5 off and 5 on plus balancing. I think i would be looking towards other stores than that one...
              04TJ, 4.0 5spd
              4" rough country springs
              Nth degree arms upper and lower
              1" Currie MML/BL
              Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
              33"BFG MT's
              Lock-rite in the front

Comment

they quoted me 10 bucks a tire when I was buying rims off of them. But since I am not buying anything from them. I guess a wad of cash will talk, hopefully.
                Supe

Comment

If you were close to me, I'd do it. I ahve access to a mounter and balancer. I do it for less than $5 per tire.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

That would be nice igofshn.

So I just got them mounted for 15 bucks a tire. Not too bad. They balanced them too.
                    Supe

Comment

That would be nice igofshn.

So I just got them mounted for 15 bucks a tire. Not too bad. They balanced them too.
                      considering that is balanced, Not too bad a deal.. Im sure took less time than if you had done it yourself.. :smile:
                      04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                      4" rough country springs
                      Nth degree arms upper and lower
                      1" Currie MML/BL
                      Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                      33"BFG MT's
                      Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Thats for sure!
                        Supe

Comment

I do all mine myself in the garage. They aren't balanced, but I don't care. I have to keep in shape and it's a really good workout.
                          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

I removed and remounted one the other day, not to bad with the tyre plyers set. I marked the tire and wheel so balance wasn't an issue.
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I've used Harbor freights portable tire changer for a couple of years for offroad tires not bad for $40, takes a bit of practice but pretty easy just builds upper body strength. downside is that if you're running the tires on road you end up paying to get them balanced.... :2:
                              Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Working...
                              X