Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive been running 35's in my tj 30 up front for yrs. i have a warn 4.5 hub kit (wish i went 5.5) ARB locker and warn inner/outter axles, 4.56 gears. no problems. i will be soon going to a hp 30 and the DEO hi steer set up. i think thats the ticket.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint
      ive been running 35's in my tj 30 up front for yrs. i have a warn 4.5 hub kit (wish i went 5.5) ARB locker and warn inner/outter axles, 4.56 gears. no problems. i will be soon going to a hp 30 and the DEO hi steer set up. i think thats the ticket.

why wish for the 5.5??? :confused:
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by brian4.2 View Post
        I go with chris L, high pinion 30. I'm running 4.1 , 48s 0n 35" tires, havent had any problem, and I am rough on my gear. When the rears hit the log it actually bit into it and I came down on all 4 wheels together, no problem, nothing bent, it never touched the center skid.
        ok i dont want to take over this thread but there is some great info pertaining to my summer build.

Brian4.2, you said you wheel a HP30? awesome, where did you pick it up? Im looking around but cant find them online anywhere.

I plan on doing hp30 front detroit rear, 4:1 and 48s this summer.
        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

I will chime in here a bit...
          I bought 6 hp 30's a couple of years ago. Just went to pick-a-part with a cordless sawzall, and cut the control arms off then stripped the axle down to the bare housing. First couple I bought for around 35 bucks but then they caught on and started charging me like around $115 bucks. Once you have the housing, everything from your dana30 will swap right on except for the gears {which you will most likley be changing anyways. Throw some Ctms and some moly shafts and your good to go on 35's. On 37's I broke a ctm, so if you want more dependability stick with 35's. I was at Kevins jeep parts in AZ a few weeks ago, and he had 2 south american HP dana 44's out of venezualen jeeps.

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
          ok i dont want to take over this thread but there is some great info pertaining to my summer build.

Brian4.2, you said you wheel a HP30? awesome, where did you pick it up? Im looking around but cant find them online anywhere.

I plan on doing hp30 front detroit rear, 4:1 and 48s this summer.
          ASM REAPER BUGGY ON 40'S SOLD
          00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
          97zj ON 36'S SOLD

04 CUMMINS CRAWLER HAULER

Comment

you guys are talking about running a HP 30, but no matter what you do to beef up that turd you still have a smaller r&p then if you went to a 44...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...59358&t=378234

also what is the lowest R&P you can get with the HP30?? 4.88????
            therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper89 View Post
              you guys are talking about running a HP 30, but no matter what you do to beef up that turd you still have a smaller r&p then if you went to a 44...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...59358&t=378234

also what is the lowest R&P you can get with the HP30?? 4.88????
              Correct 4,88's are the lowest. The hP 30 is 33% stronger than the stock axle. Even if you go to a front 44 which is really hard to find, You would still have the same size axles and U joints. I had a hp 30 is my ZJ and had a south american HP 44 in my TJ.
              00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
              97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

so for a college student looking for a decent yet cheap build, an HP30 would be best right? Then i can re-gear it out of the jeep. Also I know there are limitations on a Dana 30, im not new to this "jeep thing" but for now wanting to be a DD on 35s, a hp 30 would be a good easy choice. thanks for the info.

Any names for junk yards around so cal, san diego?
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

so for a college student looking for a decent yet cheap build, an HP30 would be best right? Then i can re-gear it out of the jeep. Also I know there are limitations on a Dana 30, im not new to this "jeep thing" but for now wanting to be a DD on 35s, a hp 30 would be a good easy choice. thanks for the info.

Im not sure on the san diego area but I know I can go to a couple of pick a parts near my house and find one right now. Just dont get one with the vacuum set up on early yj's.
                  00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                  97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

I was at pick a part in Riverside yesterday and they had a couple of them there. Call first though.
                    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

if you can wait a few weeks, I can get one for you when my cast is off. I could grab one for you, charge $125 for my time plus the cost of the housing.
                      00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                      97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

haha $125 for your time? thanks but no thanks. like I said im looking for a cheap build where I dont waste money on other things I dont need. I guess i'll just have to do more searching

Comment

haha $125 for your time? thanks but no thanks. like I said im looking for a cheap build where I dont waste money on other things I dont need. I guess i'll just have to do more searching
                          You obviously have way more experience then me on this subject.
                          00 TJ ON 37'S SOLD
                          97zj ON 36'S SOLD

Comment

Find a HP Ford D44, get it cut to length. You'll have a nice front axle, heavy duty housing, good hubs and lockouts. And you can even "upgrade" to the GM / Wagoneer floating brake set up, instead of the poorly designed Ford disc brake set up.

Except for R&P strength and axle housing strength, you can make a D30 pretty near identical to a D44, shaft and u-joint wise.

Comment

well im going to kick myself for not doing this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402894
                              but i really dont have the money to do a complete front axle build. I know this would be good to have but i would need to fig out my bott patter problem, brakes, steering gears hubs etc... just too much for a DD right now. Im looking for a cheap HP30 and hope to feel better about myself

Comment

Working...
                              X