Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power brakes

hi everyone,
    i have an 86 cj7 with power steering but no power brakes and i was wondering if i bought a brake booster is that all i need to convert to power brakes? because you can buy them from quadratec for like 170$ and if thats all it costs to get her to stop ill pay it! anyways thanx for any help
    Jim
    ../l ,[____],
    l---L--OlllllllO 86 cj7 2.5" lift
    ()_) ()_)----)_)

brakes

Originally posted by sully72
    hi everyone,
    i have an 86 cj7 with power steering but no power brakes and i was wondering if i bought a brake booster is that all i need to convert to power brakes? because you can buy them from quadratec for like 170$ and if thats all it costs to get her to stop ill pay it! anyways thanx for any help
    Jim
    CJ have a swivel bracket that doen't come with the booster. I could not find one. I used an SJ Booster and had to trim the hood frame to make it fit.

I am swapping a YJ tub on my CJ and I will use the YJ booster.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

All right...here's a good opportunity to ask my brake booster questions.

I have heard that YJ brakes (rotors, drums and such) have plenty (1) of stopping power but the standard booster does not put out enough pressure.

One alternative is to use a bigger booster from http://mpbrakes.com/

The other is to use hydraulic pressure from the PS pump. I don't know who makes this gear.

So waddya' think

1. OK not plenty....but adequate to stop 35s
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
        The other is to use hydraulic pressure from the PS pump. I don't know who makes this gear.
        http://www.vancopbs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TJeeper
          Yeah - that's the ticket

Anyone have any experience with the hydraulic boost system?
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

alot of the guys running autos out at JV swear by the vanco stuff. I've heard no complaints.
            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by aston
              Find a 1/2 ton Chevy truck with the hydraboost system you can cannibalize parts from it to adapt to the wrangler system. The Vanco system is basically this prepackaged, with all the correct fittings. I seem to remember if you find a v6 equipped truck, all you'll need to do is adapt the booster to the firewall, lengthen to control rod to the brake pedal and make up a custom hose assembly to the p/s pump. It’s also a good time to upgrade the pump and reservoir to a larger capacity one, and maybe add a filter/cooler to the system. Hope this helps.
              Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Heres a link to converting to YJ power brakes http://jeepsunlimited.com/modules.ph...article&sid=80
                "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

4 wheel Power Disk brakes

What master cyclinder works with a YJ boster in a CJ with four wheel disks?

Drivers side plumbing exits would be best but not requred.

Ron

Comment

I just put the Vanco setup on and love it. It is obvious to me that it's going to eat brake pads/shoes since the last time I looked my rears had a good 3/16-1/4" of shoe, and after a couple rides without the hydro boost and a couple rides with it they are down to 1/8". I guess some of that wear could be from my "testing" involving slamming on the brakes many times up and down my street. The Jeep stops faster than my stock Liberty, albeit somewhat scary when doing so... It is amazing. I no longer have to stand on the pedal to get the brake force I need, and I think my right calf and thigh is slowly getting smaller. The Vanco setup has all the correct fittings and goes together in a snap. You could also piece this together from a number of vehicles which came equipped with hydraulic brakes, but for the cost of the junkyard parts versus having new stuff, I'll take the stuff that's not going to leave me stranded.
                    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

What did it cost you? How do you like the AGR setup? How much was it? Do you have the SB1 or SB2 box?

I would need special kits for my bastardized Jeep, XJ 4.0, YJ tub, YJ steering, CJ steering box…

Comment

Working...
                      X