Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires, Wheels, Gears, here's the plan.

Howdy!
    Time for the next upgrade / mod.

Tires, BFG's A/T's 35x12.5x15
    (currently 31's on stock Canyons)

Wheels, 8's or 10's x15 4.5" backspacing

4.88 gears D30 front(OX locked) D44 rear replacing the 3.73's
    Manual 5 speed 4.5" suspension lift SYE/shaft... No body lift.

Anyone running a simular set-up? Am I missing something? Advice and/or opinions welcomed.

Most of my driving is on road hense the A/T's and not MTR's but I'd like to get the diff's up. I was also planning on using the Bestop tire carrier for the spare. This should give me lots of options when it's time for a rear bumper and I'd like to be able to tow not having the weight of the tire on the bumper and for now cost effective. Just tires and gears... will be a large enough expence.

The Rubicon run will be here before we know it so I'll need to get a few runs in before that, see you on the trail.
    Thanks as always, time to shop, B&T TJ

Hmmm, well lets see here . . .

Wheels: 8 inch x 15 4.5BS might be too much look into 3.75 or so.

4.88's all the way. I would also do a MML/BL and a tummy tuck . . . but thats just me.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

what he said but maybe go ARB instead of OX locker. Yeah its a bit more money but well worth it.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

IMHO... I run 35 GY MTRs and don't think they are really any louder than any other 35in tire Ive run on.
        Scott Poliseno
        www.4x4garage.com

The trouble with political jokes is that very often they get elected.

Comment

he's already got the ox in front.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Tom, you may end up wanting to do a BL for the sake of fender clearance. :2:
            myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
              Tom, you may end up wanting to do a BL for the sake of fender clearance. :2:
              Kinda wanted to stay from the BL's too. Anyone running metric sizes on 16's? I w
              as concidering and slightly smaller tire, 295/75/R16 or something like that, more money though but there in the 34x11 range basically. Originally I was going to 4.56's & 33's but that's not that much more that 31's. After running Calico it was apparent I needed more room under the diff's, plenty else where for now.
              Body lift, tummy tuck next you'll have me at the Gatekeeper, I don't know if I'm ready to ROCK that big.

Yes, already have the OX up front, working flawless for 3 years now, lock on, lock off, but this thread isn't about lockers, thanks.

Cheers, B&T TJ
              Last edited by Black & Tan TJ; 05-14-05, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Just curious, why no BL? I concur with Brian's opinion that it might provide added clearance. I needed mine when I went with a Tummy Tucker as it was really straining the rear driveshaft angle. MORE MML solved that problem nicely.

4.75 backspacing may not be enough to keep your tires out of the control arms. Stick with the 35's as they are 34.5" at best anyway .

Brian has the 35's on 16" wheels (when Goodyear is making them, that is ).

Don't forget the speedo gear (speedometer, not banana pouch). Consider outboarding the rear shock mounts? They tend to catch on everything. Which shocks are you going to get? Consider adjustable control arms.

Sounds pretty well thought out though. Good luck on the build!
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                  Just curious, why no BL? I concur with Brian's opinion that it might provide added clearance. I needed mine when I went with a Tummy Tucker as it was really straining the rear driveshaft angle. MORE MML solved that problem nicely.

4.75 backspacing may not be enough to keep your tires out of the control arms. Stick with the 35's as they are 34.5" at best anyway .

Brian has the 35's on 16" wheels (when Goodyear is making them, that is ).

Don't forget the speedo gear (speedometer, not banana pouch). Consider outboarding the rear shock mounts? They tend to catch on everything. Which shocks are you going to get? Consider adjustable control arms.

Sounds pretty well thought out though. Good luck on the build!
                  I'm trying to keep this simple for now w/o adding to the lift and no tummy tuck either(still have my 6pack)(oh wrong tummy tuck). Just tires, wheels and gears, oh and yes the speedo gear (banana pouch, that's a good one). As far as backspacing isn't 5.5" stock? Not sure it 3.75" would stick out too much and maybe 4.5" isn't enough. What is everyone else running? And rim size too, 8's or 10"s and would 8's be less likely to rub?

Shock mounts relocated, yeah I like what the others have done, looks like a worth while mod. Who's the fabricator doing it?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm trying to do this w/o pandora's box opening(lift kit memories).
                  Cheers, B&T TJ (banana pouch, lmao)

Comment

Tom's OX in action (Miller 10-23-04)

Sorry, I remember I had this shot and had to throw it in. 33's cool but with 35's I'd have to agree with a BL. easy mod.
                    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Here you go Tom
                      http://myjeeprocks.com/forums/showth...9737#post39737
                      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

It's clear to me that tom is looking for more clearance but doesn't yet need or want a "JV capable" type rig.

I'm not sure 35s are the best answer. Yes they add a bunch more clearance than the 31s, but your on road driving suffers substantially.

33s might be just fine. I found them a marked improvement over 31s clearance wise. Go 4.56 and have fun (rubicon, moab etc...).

When your ready to retire the Jeep as the shiny daily driver it is... think about 35s, BLs, MMLs, belly ups, 5:1 atlas', steering mods, shock mods, corner guards, antirock, steering box brace, trackbar bracket brace, and a rear locker. By the time your ready to fully commit to this, the fact that you had to gear your axles twice won't really hurt that much.

I guess what I'm saying is, if your not really gonna use the 35s (doran entrance/JV for example), I'd stick with a slighly smaller tire for on road driving characteristics.

:2:
                        myJeeprocks.com

Comment

FWIW, my wheels are 16x8 w/4.5" backspacing. my tires rub the antirock arms at full stuff/turn, just an annoyance though, nothing that needs fixing.
                          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                            It's clear to me that tom is looking for more clearance but doesn't yet need or want a "JV capable" type rig.

I'm not sure 35s are the best answer. Yes they add a bunch more clearance than the 31s, but your on road driving suffers substantially.

33s might be just fine. I found them a marked improvement over 31s clearance wise. Go 4.56 and have fun (rubicon, moab etc...).

When your ready to retire the Jeep as the shiny daily driver it is... think about 35s, BLs, MMLs, belly ups, 5:1 atlas', steering mods, shock mods, corner guards, antirock, steering box brace, trackbar bracket brace, and a rear locker. By the time your ready to fully commit to this, the fact that you had to gear your axles twice won't really hurt that much.

I guess what I'm saying is, if your not really gonna use the 35s (doran entrance/JV for example), I'd stick with a slighly smaller tire for on road driving characteristics.

:2:
                            Couldn't have said it better. I will leave 35's the dream but 33's will be the reality with 4.88's, I don't know, keeping the dream alive? Still new wheels... So look for some Canyons w/31's mounted for sale, good for spares too.

What I need to do and want to do with my Jeep doesn't always line up. Is it back to the drawing board? Kinda sorta but that's part of the fun.

Here we go:
                            Some crusin' 33's, maybe 11's 4.5 BS maybe 4 but 4.88's(you never know) plus all the rest. I'm in.
                            This set-up should keep the lid of that box tight, I should already be good for this combo w/o the hidden extras.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

find a rig with 4.88s and 33s to drive before you commit.

<edit> if you want 33/11 go with 285 75r16s. good tire. </edit>
                              myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X