Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires/rims combo Q's

So I'm looking into getting some rims and tires here in the near future. I just dont know what exactly to get. I was looking at the BFG all terains, i have seen them on numerous vehicles and have heard a lot of good about them. So I was looking into getting some 31x???'s. Problem is I dont know what width 31's to get. I also want to get rims but I dont know what size is a good everyday every use rim. So my question is what would be a good combo for rims/tires sizes. I def want 31's though I know that much. Keep in mind my YJ is completely stock, and its a daily driver but still plays in the dirt quite often.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

If you have 3.07 gears, I'd go with 30x9.50r15 BFG ATs on aluminum (not chrome) rims.

If you have 3.55 gears, I'd go with 31x10.50r15 BFG ATs.

I'd choose 15x8" rims if you think you might go bigger in the future, if not, I'd go with 15x7".

With the 31" tires, you'll probably need a small suspension (2") or body lift (1") to clear them. I'd do a replacement lift (no blocks or pucks) either way since your rig is 10 years old.

JMHO.

Have fun!

Comment

Take a look at steel rims: very strong and inexpensive.

Also Goodyear MT/Rs, probably the best value for a road/trail Jeep.
      "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
        Take a look at steel rims: very strong and inexpensive.
        you meant to say heavy and easy to bend right??? :yay:

I agree on the tire suggestion.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

For a daily driver who doesn't wheel much I vote BFG AT. If you're looking for a more serious tire, I'd recommend the BFG MT over the MTR where you live. The BFG MT is far superior in mud than the MTR, while the MTR is superior in sharp rocks and sandstone. I'm guessing that you see more mud in Minnesota that the folks in Arizona and Cali do. . .

Comment

Yea not much rocks here, mostly mud and trees fallen everywhere. I was looking at the MTR's but I was worried about road wear. I heard they are really soft and wear down easy.

Gears... what ever the stock YJ 4banger has. And i have a 4.0L trany if that makes any difference.

I already expected I would hafta do atleast a body lift to fit 31's without any rubbing and such. I have heard of people running 31's stock but they say its real close. I was looking into shackles, but it seems everyone discourages them any larger that 1", and people say not to do a body lift any bigger that 2". i cant really afford to do a suspension lift right now, and I dont have the time either. Its either rims/tires or a susp lift and the rims/tires I have now are getting real tired.

When I was installing the tranny I noticed the axles are on top of the leaf springs..... is it possible to relocate them to under the leaf springs? I dont know a whole lot about off road setups or anyting, gimme a honda and I will strip it and rebuild it with no worries, but I am just getting into the off-road world.
            Yellow 01 Sport
            4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin92
              When I was installing the tranny I noticed the axles are on top of the leaf springs..... is it possible to relocate them to under the leaf springs? I dont know a whole lot about off road setups or anyting, gimme a honda and I will strip it and rebuild it with no worries, but I am just getting into the off-road world.

In the off-road world this is called spring over and spring under (axle )

If your springs are in good shape, going to SOA would be a cost effective way of getting lots of lift. Unfortunately there's some other things that need to be done at the same time.

See: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instru...ss/RE5015A.pdf
              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

MT/Rs aren't that bad of a street tire. You just have to keep up on the rotating and balancing. Mine have just over 20k miles on em and I still have 20/32 on the front tread and 12/32 on the rear, I need to rotate em again but I'm feeling lazy
                04 Rubicon
                4.5" RE Super Flex
                1" BL
                CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                35" el cheapos
                Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Have any of you TJ owners put 31s on? I want a bigger tire but can't afford a lift right now.

Comment

Originally posted by yeller_TJ
                    Have any of you TJ owners put 31s on? I want a bigger tire but can't afford a lift right now.
                    You should be able to without a problem. I say should, because I don't know if you'll rub or not. 31s come stock on the rubicon models, but they have a higher spring rate so they don't "sag" as much.
                    04 Rubicon
                    4.5" RE Super Flex
                    1" BL
                    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                    35" el cheapos
                    Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

A TJ will fit 31s with no lift. The only things to watch for are backspacing of the wheels and width of the tire. Like the previous poster said, a set of Rubicon wheels and tires would fit perfectly with no rubbing. If your springs are sagging, a set of 3/4" spring spacers would be a good idea.

Re: tread wear. . . BFGs are known for lasting a long time. I've heard of people getting 60,000+ miles out of the ATs and 50,000 from the MTs. MTRs might give you 40,000 if treated well. They have a much softer tire compound.

I ran MTRs for 15,000 miles and sold them at about halfway through their useful life (I consider 8/32nds the minimum tread depth for offroad use -- these were around 13/32nds when I sold them). They probably would have gone 40k if run down to 3/32nds.

My current set of BFG MT's has 14,000 miles on them and is about 1/3 of the way through their useful life.

Comment

[IMG]C:\My Documents\download\JeepWrnglr18\New Folder[/IMG]

I have 31 x 10.50 on my 93 YJ. I have no lift YET and i dont have any clearance problems.

Comment

Did my picture not work?????

Comment

Originally posted by brians_jeep
                            Did my picture not work?????
                            the picture has to be on another internest site for it to work. you can do this through photobucket for free, as well as some other sites
                            1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X