Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 30 vacuum bypass

hey guys I need some help. i want to completely bypass the vacuum system on my yj and i wanted to know what was involved to make that happen, I.e. what i need to remove and what to replace (if anything). Brian said i probably could use tj axle shafts and i might be able to use his if he upgrades. Any info on this is appreciated. thanks

http://home.earthlink.net/~stevenschreiber/cabledis.htm Bike cable relacement
    http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/ How it worksm trail fix

There is a kit to swap it to cable for a couple hundred bucks

Ron
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

you could also find a passenger side shaft from a D30 in a cherokee without the disconnect. it's the best fix if you want to get rid of the vacuum and don't want to go back!
      Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Cheaper yet...........
        When I did my warn hub conversion it came with a little brass spacer that permanetly engages the vacuum actuator.
        “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
        -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by jesseyj
          hey guys I need some help. i want to completely bypass the vacuum system on my yj and i wanted to know what was involved to make that happen, I.e. what i need to remove and what to replace (if anything). Brian said i probably could use tj axle shafts and i might be able to use his if he upgrades. Any info on this is appreciated. thanks
          When you remove the vacuum servo and install a TJ axle shaft you also need to move the oil seal. The stock D30 has the axle shaft oil seal at the wheel end of the shaft, so that oil can slosh around the disconnect mechanism. The D44 shaft requires a seal at the diff end of the shaft. This can be tricky to install 'cos the housing was not designed for a seal at this location.
          "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
            When you remove the vacuum servo and install a TJ axle shaft you also need to move the oil seal. The stock D30 has the axle shaft oil seal at the wheel end of the shaft, so that oil can slosh around the disconnect mechanism. The D44 shaft requires a seal at the diff end of the shaft. This can be tricky to install 'cos the housing was not designed for a seal at this location.
            the right honorable Nana is correct ,but you will also have to make sure that you're running 297x u-joints already ie 94/5 or newer jeep, otherwise you'll have to replace both inner and outer axles. As for the seal when I put my warn axles in i ended up putting the superior axle outer seal kit in, it leakes a little but nothing dramatic, and I think that warn has a kit to install an inner seal in the diff. you'd have to look at there website. :beer:
            Mighty 4 banger YJ, 35's,4.88's, 30 splines, Detroits, 4.5" lift, TJ flares, Scorpion Offroad stuff, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

The idea here is that I may be buying a complete XJ HPD30. I don't need the axleshafts so I was gonna give them to Jesse for cheap. All he needs is a seal and a block off plate right???

Erik, you put the seal in yourself right???
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                The idea here is that I may be buying a complete XJ HPD30. I don't need the axleshafts so I was gonna give them to Jesse for cheap. All he needs is a seal and a block off plate right???

Erik, you put the seal in yourself right???
                that'd do the trick, warn has a block off plate but i made mine from a peice of stainless sheet.

who's erik? :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andy
                  who's erik? :confused:
                  Erik is an MJR moderator, jeeper, all around great guy and a bit of a tosser
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

well, looks like the guy might just sell me just the axle housing with knukles so this may be a moot point. or whomever you happpen to be. :yay:
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Thanks everybody for your sugestions. I now have an idea what to do when I can get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                        Erik is an MJR moderator, jeeper, all around great guy and a bit of a tosser
                        if he's a tosser 'es ow-rite! :2:

Comment

Working...
                        X