Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a windshield

Took a rock a few weeks ago and now it's a crack working it's way up,(passenger side)but has anyone ever replaces their's?

B&T TJ

I had mine replaced a long time ago under warranty(far, far away???). Not much help I know.

Where's "what's er name" when ya need her, er... well... maybe need isn't the word... maybe, ummm... when she has a shred of useful advice (laced with far to much other crap, sorry, I digress). :yay:
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

TJ windshields are just held in with a rubber gasket, right? pop the old one out, put the new one in using the string method

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
        TJ windshields are just held in with a rubber gasket, right? pop the old one out, put the new one in using the string method
        there's glue or silicon and the gasket. they put that tape on it your supposed to leave for a day or whatever.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
          there's glue or silicon and the gasket. they put that tape on it your supposed to leave for a day or whatever.
          So buy some glue and blue tape and youre a professional. I would do just like chuck said, or you can call one of those places that come to you.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

For the price of having somebody put a new one in, is cheap, if you haven't done one.

Long time a go in far off place I worked in a body shop. If they break the the glass they bought it and you get a new one. If you break the glass you buy a new one.
            [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
            In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

might consider checking your auto insurance- aren't windshields damaged by road debris (not vandalism, etc.) required to be covered w/o a deductible or something along those lines since it affects your ability to drive safely? maybe different insurance companies have different policies regarding the windshield.

Comment

you should be able to have someone come to you and install new glass for about 150 bucks.
                i have replaced a few windshields, and can have it installed in my area for 100 bucks including glass.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  you should be able to have someone come to you and install new glass for about 150 bucks.
                  i have replaced a few windshields, and can have it installed in my area for 100 bucks including glass.
                  agreed. i wouldn't report something so minor to the insurance ... wouldn't be worth having your rates raised for 150.00. :2:
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

TJ windshields aren't cheap. At least they weren't when I had mine replaced awhile back.

I had some company come out and replace mine (they came to where I worked, and did it in the parking lot). I cost around $225 - 250 for domestic glass. Import glass is cheaper but it doesn't stand up to rock chips/sand/etc nearly as well as domestic glass. As others have mentioned, it is glued in. Just pick up the yellow pages and call around for the best deal. If you want domestic glass, be sure you tell them, otherwise they will quote you prices for, and install, imported glass.
                    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Thanks for the replies, looks like there's a few options. I don't think I have a road rage I mean hazard coverage but I'll check that out, I've installed a few flat glass rear windows w/o problems and hey (blink, idea!) I'll check my FSM CD and see what it has to say. I'm not sure about the glue thing though, there is a big ol' rubber gasket that looks like it holds it in.
                      (can't type anymore, the sound of my fingers hitting the keys is killing my head. Someone should make a silent keyboard for those mornings after a late night, oh my friggin head) ;(

Thanks again, B&T TJ

Comment

Working...
                      X