Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Pitman Arm for Hi-Steer

Had a long day yesterday but it is finally done, err almost done. The WJ Knuckles with hi-steer is in the TJ!

Only problem is, since I don't have a whole lot of lift, need to hunt down a flat pitman arm. I have come across a lot of choice and I am not sure which to go with. The best one I have heard so far is to use a ford ranger. Its flat, about 5" and will work great for what I need. But I do not know which year to get one from.

Anyone know which year I should go with or have any other suggestions? I really want to keep the length below 6".

Thanks
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Originally posted by nagal
    Had a long day yesterday but it is finally done, err almost done. The WJ Knuckles with hi-steer is in the TJ!

Only problem is, since I don't have a whole lot of lift, need to hunt down a flat pitman arm. I have come across a lot of choice and I am not sure which to go with. The best one I have heard so far is to use a ford ranger. Its flat, about 5" and will work great for what I need. But I do not know which year to get one from.

Anyone know which year I should go with or have any other suggestions? I really want to keep the length below 6".

Thanks
    You really don't want to keep the length at 5". The WJ pitman is 6" and that amount of swing is needed to get full travel out of the knuckle.
    I am Savvy.

Comment

I had thought about the WJ arm but had read its not flat (almost flat). For some bizare reason I do trust your opinion so I will go that route.

As for the full travel, I cant get there until I relocate the track bar as the tie rod smacks into it on full turn. There was not enough adjustment in it to make it short enough and did not have time to fab a new mount and cut a section out of it. We go it driveable last night (not off-road drivable) and are going to work all the little kinks out next weekend.
      Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I had thought about the WJ arm but had read its not flat (almost flat). For some bizare reason I do trust your opinion so I will go that route.

As for the full travel, I cant get there until I relocate the track bar as the tie rod smacks into it on full turn. There was not enough adjustment in it to make it short enough and did not have time to fab a new mount and cut a section out of it. We go it driveable last night (not off-road drivable) and are going to work all the little kinks out next weekend.

I didn't say to use the WJ pitman, I said you need six inches of throw to get full travel. I run a flat pitman with 6 3/4" of throw. I was relating that the arm designed by DC to complement the length of the steering arm from kingpin centerline was 6" long.

An option is to build one. Not that hard to do.

I am Savvy.

Comment

I didn't say to use the WJ pitman, I said you need six inches of throw to get full travel. I run a flat pitman with 6 3/4" of throw. I was relating that the arm designed by DC to complement the length of the steering arm from kingpin centerline was 6" long.
          Sorry about that, I read too much into what you said.

Building an arm is not really an option, looking for something to just put on.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Sorry about that, I read too much into what you said.

Building an arm is not really an option, looking for something to just put on.
            The arm in the middle is the WJ arm compared to the one on the right which is the TJ arm.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

I think Rick has a flat CJ arm that he won't use after I give him a YJ arm. Not sure how long it is, or if he's willing to part with it really. Rick??? :confused:
              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

The stock CJ arm I have is 6 1/2" C-C. The only thing I will say for the stock CJ arm is that it is not as beefy as the YJ (and others above) arms. How long is the YJ arm?
                1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Did a little more research and taking blaine's info on the throw, ended up ordering a pitman arm from a Wagoneer.
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by rick
                    How long is the YJ arm?
                    5.5" c/c. might be to short for ya. not sure.
                    myJeeprocks.com

Comment

How long is the YJ arm?
                      Identical in length and drop to the TJ arm.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

With the huge drop I have on mine now, and the fact that I had to adjust my steering stops as it is, I think the 5.5" will work. Nagal, let me know if your plans change and you want the CJ arm.
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

With the huge drop I have on mine now, and the fact that I had to adjust my steering stops as it is, I think the 5.5" will work. Nagal, let me know if your plans change and you want the CJ arm.
                          I'll bring the YJ arm next time I come up, or if Dave is going up there this weekend, have him stop by.
                          myJeeprocks.com

Comment

Working...
                          X