Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rim questions

so im getting real clsoe to havin the money to lift my tj and i'm starting to think about and plan all the extras that come with it. im set on switching to 4.56 in the rear and running 33x1250s BFGs with 4 inches of lift.

My question is, my stock rims (i think they are the canyons, 15x8, came with the 30" tire package) are they ok to use? i haven't seen many lifted jeeps still with stock rims. granted im not looking at beadlocks or anything, if i had to replace the rims it would be some plain black d windows. anyone have suggestions/input as to what i should do for rims? thanks.
    Neil

FOR SALE: 01 TJ Sport
    5 spd, 4in skyjacker, 33mt/rs, detroit rear, lock-rite front, 4.56's, safari snorkel, yada yada yada, im broke

The problem you will face with the stock rims is the back spacing. With 33x1250 you will need new rims or spacers or they will rub a lot on turns. You will spend about the same either way and people differ on wether you should run spacers or not. I would just go with new rims.

As a side note: With 4" of lift you will need (95% of the time) SYE and a new drive shaft.
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Last time I looked, those canyon wheels were worth some good money on ebay. I pitched mine and got the $40 steel black rims. I like the look better of the black – the canyons to me just look "stock."
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

don't buy new wheels until you've geared the front to 4.56 as well.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
          don't buy new wheels until you've geared the front to 4.56 as well.
          so i should not buy any wheels and/or tires at all before i regear the front as well? im a bit confused...sorry, thanks
          Neil

5 spd, 4in skyjacker, 33mt/rs, detroit rear, lock-rite front, 4.56's, safari snorkel, yada yada yada, im broke

Comment

Originally posted by ylwrnglr01
            so i should not buy any wheels and/or tires at all before i regear the front as well? im a bit confused...sorry, thanks
            You will need to regear the front and both if you plan on using 4wheel, spend the money on getting the gearing before you spend it on the wheels..
            04TJ, 4.0 5spd
            4" rough country springs
            Nth degree arms upper and lower
            1" Currie MML/BL
            Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
            33"BFG MT's
            Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Originally posted by avnative
              You will need to regear the front and both if you plan on using 4wheel, spend the money on getting the gearing before you spend it on the wheels..

ah, got it, i wasn't thinking. last question and i'll drop this topic...what size rim does everyone recommend for a 33x1250 tire? i was thinkin 15x8 should be ok? thanks
              Neil

Comment

Originally posted by ylwrnglr01
                ah, got it, i wasn't thinking. last question and i'll drop this topic...what size rim does everyone recommend for a 33x1250 tire? i was thinkin 15x8 should be ok? thanks
                15x8 is the normal, with a backspacing of 3.75 or so. The less back spacing, the more the tire and wheel sticks out. The more backspacing, the greater the chances for rubbing.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                X