Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions!

OK, so I have some extra money just lying around, begging to be spent on the jeep. (yeah, right, "extra". ) These are my questions:

I already have skids plate for everything under my jeep, I regeared, new bumper/tire carrier, 4" lift, 32" tires, soon to have RockIt Man front bumper and rocker panels, off road lights;

So, I was thinking my next purchase should be either a 4:1 transfer case or a winch. What's everyone's opinion? My thinking is, I can go pretty much anywhere with the low range. But with the winch I could pull myself or anyone else out of "situations" which may arise. What do you guys think?

Jeri Lyn
    Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

What kind of tranny do you have and what axle ratio did you install? But regardless, you'd get benefit from the 4:1 all the time on the trail if you have a 5-speed, but the 4:1 is less needed if you have an automatic.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

a 4:1 would be nice. So you get your 4:1 installed, so you think you can do some bigger stuff. you go for it, get hung up, and your wheels aren't touching. 4:1 aint gonna do you very good there, lol. My personal opinion would be go for the winch, especially if ur wheelin w/ people that dont have winches.
      1978 CJ7, 304 V8, T-150, locked AMC 20 with Superior Axles, Warn M8000, RE 2.5" lift, 31"BFG mudterrains, Naked and dirty 7 months of the year! Cant wait to get more!

Comment

What will you use the most? A winch is great to have when you're totally stuck. Do you put yourself in that situation frequently? Personally, I think on-board air is more useful than a winch because I've seen winches used less than half a dozen times, and we haven't yet needed one in our jeep. Yet we air down every time we go off-road and either have to rely on a fellow jeeper with air, or creep to a local gas station that may or may not have air.
        As far as the transfer case goes, if you've got a 4.0, you probably don't need it. If you've got a 4-banger than you can probably use all the gears you can get .
        Bottom line: Its your jeep. Only you know what your driving style and needs are. Pick what suits you the best.
        It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
        and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

What kind of axles do you have? what about lockers? What kind of off-roading do you want to do? Whats your price range (thats the big one)?

I would get a winch before a 4.1. If you don't have lockers, I would get that before anything else. If still riding on the Dana 35, get rid of that above all else.

Off course this all depends on what kind of off-roading you want to do.
          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
            What kind of axles do you have? what about lockers? What kind of off-roading do you want to do? Whats your price range (thats the big one)?

I would get a winch before a 4.1. If you don't have lockers, I would get that before anything else. If still riding on the Dana 35, get rid of that above all else.

Off course this all depends on what kind of off-roading you want to do.
            I forgot to mention I have lockers front and rear. I have a CO2 tank, so don't really want/need on board air. I have stock axles (D30 front, D35 rear) but I don't want to change those out until I break one. I went to 4:10 gearing and I have a 4.0 auto tranny.

Are the D35 super trusses worth the money? Just wondering....

Price range is a grand or so. just trying to get everyone's :2:

Jeri LYn

Comment

Since you have an automatic, you really wouldn't see much benefit to the 4:1. Your automatic already provides what is in effect an infinitely low first gear ratio which is better than what the 4:1 would provide. Not only that but the 4:1 would make it harder for your brakes to stop you when you're in 4Low. I'd spend that kind of money on getting rid of the D35c... which would be in greatly increased jeopardy with the 4:1 t-case.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                Since you have an automatic, you really wouldn't see much benefit to the 4:1. Your automatic already provides what is in effect an infinitely low first gear ratio which is better than what the 4:1 would provide. Not only that but the 4:1 would make it harder for your brakes to stop you when you're in 4Low. I'd spend that kind of money on getting rid of the D35c... which would be in greatly increased jeopardy with the 4:1 t-case.
                Makes sense.

Comment

I would not spend any money on the D35 as it sounds like you eventually plan on getting rid of it.

I would go for a belly up skid plate. If you don't have an SYE you will need one and a new driveshaft for the bellyup. You might need a new drive shaft anyways.

A winch is always a good investment but I think the belly-up is a better way to go. But you can not forgot having a winch just looks so cool
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Winches look cool and come in handy sometimes, but do you really *need* one? How many times have you been stranded with no way to get your vehicle out of the situation it is in? Probably never, and if you have, you were probably either 'wheeling alone or a winch wouldn't have saved your butt anyway.

Personally, I'd be looking at axles or axle upgrades if I were in your shoes.
                    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                      I would not spend any money on the D35 as it sounds like you eventually plan on getting rid of it.

I would go for a belly up skid plate. If you don't have an SYE you will need one and a new driveshaft for the bellyup. You might need a new drive shaft anyways.

A winch is always a good investment but I think the belly-up is a better way to go. But you can not forgot having a winch just looks so cool
                      I have an SYE, and I just recently had to replace the drive shaft. The belly up gives you about 2" more clearance, is that correct? When I've been hung up lately, it's been on the diffs.

Jeri Lyn

Comment

Depending on which belly up, you can get up to 2.5" maybe 3" top. When I do mine, I am going for the nth degree tummy tucker (my next mod on the list).

The way I look at the belly up is not to prevent getting stuck but better protection and less scrapping on your trans and transfer.

Another option that just came to mind is modifying your steering linkage (which is my current mod). Lots of ways to do this from do it yourself (WJ Knuckles) to a bolt on solution (lots of people seem to like the ORO U-Turn). I personally believe the WJ Knuckle is the way to go but requires some welding which not everyone has access to.
                        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeri Lyn
                          OK, so I have some extra money just lying around, begging to be spent on the jeep. (yeah, right, "extra". ) These are my questions:

I already have skids plate for everything under my jeep, I regeared, new bumper/tire carrier, 4" lift, 32" tires, soon to have RockIt Man front bumper and rocker panels, off road lights;

So, I was thinking my next purchase should be either a 4:1 transfer case or a winch. What's everyone's opinion? My thinking is, I can go pretty much anywhere with the low range. But with the winch I could pull myself or anyone else out of "situations" which may arise. What do you guys think?

Jeri Lyn
                          I've used my winch about 2 dozen times over the last 15 months that I've had it. Without question - Winch.

03 TJ with a few mods.

Comment

Belly-up: I have the Nth Degree TT and I do like it quite a bit but it played havoc with my driveline until I did the BL/MML to get things all straightened out. Nth Degree really pushes the specs to the limit in my humble opinion, but I am fond of it now that I don't feel like I am on a cheap motel vibrating bed when I get going from a stop.

4:1 TC: I got one stock and it is nice but as said previously not super essential with the automatic. Brian loves his, but he's got a stick. Get it if it floats your boat.

Winch: I'd say this is essential if you wheel by yourself or are interested in tackling stuff you know you are going to get stuck on. I don't know how many times I have used it for getting myself out of trouble, but I also don't have very good judgement on what I should and shouldn't do...not yet anyways. Get it if you can find a good deal on a used one (Thanks Chris_L) or a great deal one on new. I am a little worried about it getting stolen but my fears will be lessened when I tack weld the nuts.

Dana 35C truss: Well, we don't have any D35's in the stable but I'd say skip ithe truss as you said you are going to upgrade when you splinter the D35's anyway.

I vote for the winch (it's the only thing I've bought to get me OUT of trouble instead of INTO it) and it's quite a bit less expensive than the TC. Maybe Brian could chime in as he bought the TC first and the winch second.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                              Maybe Brian could chime in as he bought the TC first and the winch second.
                              Not sure if your talking about me, but I'll chime in anyway.

First off, don't sell me short. My TC is 5:1.

I didn't need a winch until I had gearing to get me into the places I needed a winch. (unless your leading trails in moab)

you don't really need 4:1 with an auto. imho

I agree with the belly up idea. if your getting hung on your diffs you need to pick better lines. :yay:

just my :2:
                              myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                              X