Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general questions

what size tires will fit on the stock wheels? and also what are the advantages of a 4 and 6 cyl.? can a 4 go the same places as a 6?sorry didnt know where to post this at :confused:
    [COLOR=Blue]Perfection[/COLOR], [COLOR=SlateGray]The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.[/COLOR]

It usually isn't a matter of what size tire will fit the wheel, but what size tire will fit the jeep (how much lift, etc).

A 4 cyl will go the same places a 6 will, but it lacks the power of a 6 on the hiway. So you will be slower pulling long grades getting to the trail. There have been very few times on a trail that I have seen a 4 cyl struggle when compared to a 6 cyl (or a 6 cyl compared to a 8 cylinder). Usually those situations were brought on by gearing issues rather than actual engine issues.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

what would you reccomend as far a auto or manual?
      [COLOR=Blue]Perfection[/COLOR], [COLOR=SlateGray]The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.[/COLOR]

Comment

If you are looking at a TJ stay away from the 3-Speed auto. I have never heard a good thing about them.

As far as auto vs manual, it seems to be all preference. I have a manual and I really do not like it but I have not wheeled an auto so can't say if its better or worse.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

I've got the auto. It rocks! No stalls on the trails, no foot cramps in traffic. Depends on what is more important to you, ease of fixing (manual) or ease of driving (auto), unless of course you're used to a manual.
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Sarah, is it the 3-speed auto? I have heard they get horrible gas milegae.

From what I have read, swapping in AW4 is a nice way to go
            Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
              Sarah, is it the 3-speed auto? I have heard they get horrible gas milegae.

From what I have read, swapping in AW4 is a nice way to go
              I believe so. I haven't compared it to a manual, and my speedo is so far off, that I have no idea what kind of gas mileage I am getting. It used to be around 225 miles per tank, IIRC, but that was before the 33s. (and my speedo may still have been off then ... maybe it's just better to not know! LOL)
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                If you are looking at a TJ stay away from the 3-Speed auto. I have never heard a good thing about them.
                Probably cause everyone that talks bad about autos doesnt run on the rocks.
                The 999 tranny in my 98, as far as I'm concerned, is bulletproof. Unlike the NV3550 that is in Tammys 02.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I will have to change my statement. I have now heard a couple good things about the 3spd TJ tranny
                  Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

it really depends on what you want to do with your Jeep. If driving around at 80mph on the freeway is your thing, the 3 speed auto may not be the best choice. Playing in big rocks on the other hand seems to suit it well.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

I've always been partial to manual trannys, it test my skills when I'm negotiating rocks. My daily driver is a 79 Malibu grannymobile 4 door, gotta' have an automatic in L.A. traffic.
                      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Ye Olde Debate

You will never find 10 off-roaders that agree which is better between auto and manual. So instead, you have to choose which is best for YOU.

The auto is going to be a lot easier in traffic, and for city driving.

The manual gets better gas milage, especially since you are able to choose what your RPMs will be to a certain degree.

If the auto breaks your screwed

If the manual breaks it usually means you lost a gear or two but can still limp home

With the auto, off roading can sometimes be easier since negotiating the clutch, brake, and accelerator can get harry. However their are ways to create a hand throttle to help with this. In addition, once mastered, there isn't a problem

With the manual, once you master the above problem you have one decided advantage. When you are doing a rather extreme hill climb or shelf climb and you feel the front end start to lift... just push in the clutch and your tires will likely reach terra firma

With the auto in the above situation you have to not panic, and be fast enough to get the auto into nuetral or reverse to get those tires back down to the ground (harder than it sounds.)

If you wrench it yourself, manuals are much easier to work on, and usually last longer

Mine has an auto in it, the deciding factor for me was the drive on the 91 from Riverside to Orange. However the Jeep left daily driver status a while back.

Comment

GOOD points

I have a hand throttle. I use it in the rocks It does take a bit getting used to.

Tam
                          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

hand throttles are for sissies. :yay:
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                              hand throttles are for sissies. :yay:
                              Whatever. dweeb.
                              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff