Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Trixie, how much for a valve job??

What should the average price be to get your valves adjusted, or whatever they do to stop that ticking sound??

The lifters on a jeep are hydraulic and should not need adjustment. The ticking is something else.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Wow.I didnt know that thanks. What would cause that card on the spokes of your bike sound.

Comment

It's a Jeep inline motor, they all sound like that
        I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Mine doesn't.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
            It's a Jeep inline motor, they all sound like that
            nah, not all of them- just the ones with cracked exhaust manifolds (granted, that's about 90% of 'em, but not all of them)

check the exhaust manifold- they are prone to cracking

Comment

After reading this, I think I might have a cracked header. If it ever stops raining, I'll crawl under and check it out.

If it turns out I need to replaces the header, what brand(s) are worth they extra money?

Thanks.
              Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Hmmmmm, seems Jeeps are prone to alot of things! Maybe I shoulda got an old Land Cruiser instead!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                  After reading this, I think I might have a cracked header. If it ever stops raining, I'll crawl under and check it out.

If it turns out I need to replaces the header, what brand(s) are worth they extra money?

Thanks.
                  I am very pleased with my Doug Thorley header. It actually fit without any cutting or grinding!

Chris L.
                  "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Never heard of them (not surprising) but after reading up on them I like the design behind them. Thanks for the tip. Might be the way I go if needed.
                    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

:hijack: Since were on the topic of engine noises, I also thought I needed a valve job. When I start my engine (90 XJ, I6) I here this "clacking" noise that goes away after a few seconds but it's loud. I hear it when reving hard too. Someone said valves or crankcase/rod bearings, harmonic balancer, different diagnosis' from different people. Any ideas please?
                      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                        :hijack: Since were on the topic of engine noises, I also thought I needed a valve job. When I start my engine (90 XJ, I6) I here this "clacking" noise that goes away after a few seconds but it's loud. I hear it when reving hard too. Someone said valves or crankcase/rod bearings, harmonic balancer, different diagnosis' from different people. Any ideas please?
                        With the engine cold and you first start it up the noise can be tracked down by the old trick of using a pipe, place one end on the valve cover bolts and the other end to your ear. The noise from the valve train will transmit up through the pipe and you can hear the rockers moving. Do this to differant parts on the engine. When you locate the noise of what you hear your problem will be in that general area. The pipe placed on the lower section of the block will give the rotating mass of the crank/rods rotating. The noise should be one of a rotating mass, If you hear a clicking in the bottom end rev the motor a little , does the noise increase? If so your rod bearings have increased in oil gap. Main bears are a little harder to determine. Under heavy engine load is when the main bearings will make noise. When using the pipe, rod, long screw driver, it can not touch anything but what your listening to. I use my thumb on the end of the pipe and place my thumb into my ear. To get a better feel of how this works, With the engine running test the alternator, rotating mass. older engines with a mechincal fuel pumps, this is a clicking noise.

Other things to note is after changing the oil does the problem go away.
                        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

I'm with Dan, it sounds like your main bearings are going on your crankshaft, if you hear the noise when you first start the engine and when revving.
                          Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

Originally posted by paulhead
                            Does this happen EVERY time you start it, or only when it is cold? (as in, if you shut if off, then restart it 5 minutes later, does it do it then?) Does the noise go away as soon as your engine builds oil pressure?

Noise on cold start up is usually assoicated with lifters (assuming you are running hydraulic lifters).

Noise during heavy acceleration is often assoicated with ignition (pre-ignition) or valve train adjustments.

Noise druing heavy deceleration (not heavy braking) is usually associated with rod bearings (and is a much different noise than the lifters or valves).
                            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

It happens when I first start it, sounds like nuts and bolts being shaken in a coffee can for about 4 secs. Then when the RPMs are going up, same sound. Also during decelerating................

Comment

Working...
                              X