Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Box Skid

One of the upgrades i need to do (putting it off for too long) is a skid plate for my steering box. Loss of that on the trail would be bad, probably worse than when i lost my tranny!!!

So I am looking for your opinions on the skids you have used. As a side note, I would like it very much if anyone has found/run a steering box skid that also acts as a reinforcement to the mount of the steering box.

thx

mark

I have never seen a TJ 'box skid that adds to the strength of the mount (doesn't mean one doesn't exist, I just haven't seen one). Most people I know add a seperate brace for the box if they are concerned about it.

I use Brad Kilby's steering box skid (~$40), and no brace. DC changed the steering boxes in '03, so the standard TJ steering box braces don't fit, but IIRC, those are around $50 for the pre '03s.

Both the braces and the boxes are pretty much bolt on items. You need to drill a hole or two, but that is about it.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

You have all the other more potentially harmful or likely to get hit areas protected already? Of all the areas of my Jeep that get absolutely HAMMERED when it's offroad, my steering box has yet to take a single hit. Gas tank, oil pan, lower control arm brackets, front diff cover, and the rear diff cover should all be considered higher priority than the steering box IMHO. If all those are protected, then go for it. I'm no Skyjacker fan but that's what my steering box ended up with and it would do a good job at protecting it. What a PITA to install though. Sheesh!
      Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 01-09-05, 12:47 PM.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

The steering box on my TJ was hit on one of the first few trips I made with it. But, as Jerry mentioned, other areas are more likely to get hit. In addition to what was already mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend boxing in your front lower control arm pockets.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

At $40-$45 its money well spent. I've layed my jeep on the steering box skid many a time. Kilby makes a nice one.
          Last edited by Dukes69; 01-09-05, 02:44 PM.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Ive tapped mine several times BEFORE I got my Kilby Skid. But, ironically (and thankfully), Brian kindly picked mine up from Kilby on the way to the first Rubicon Trip. We installed it at IceHouse the night before. The next day, I smacked it HARD on Gatekeeper, the first obstacle. It would have been a trip ender if I didnt have it. Ive got a gouge in the skid now to show for it.

Its an affordable mod. Do it.

Tam
            2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
            Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Thanks for the info, looks like I will go with the Kilby... and bey the reenforcement seperatley.

Yeah i got everything else covered... I fabbed my own LCA skids and welded them on. I will have to do it again though because I have two new (well new to me) axles sitting on the floor of my garage waiting for all this rain to stop so I can bolt them in.

The engine/oil/tranny is protected by a Skid Row Engine skid. After putting a hole in my auto-tranny and having to winch my way through the rest of the rock garden... and then be towed to the road... I covered that up pretty quick.

Comment

I've hit mine plenty of times - dented my steering skid even. I think it matters what trails you like to run.

Now that I run a $500+ steering box I think a steering skid is probably my most important skid plate!

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Paradiddle
                  I've hit mine plenty of times - dented my steering skid even. I think it matters what trails you like to run.

Now that I run a $500+ steering box I think a steering skid is probably my most important skid plate!

Jeff
                  That's 500 before my consultation fees.
                  I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradiddle

Jeff
                    I paid $340. I think you got robbed.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                      That's 500 before my consultation fees.
                      Hence the "+"

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                        I paid $340. I think you got robbed.
                        For $10 worth of steel
                        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish
                          For $10 worth of steel
                          I think he's talking gear box, not skid.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell C
                            I think he's talking gear box, not skid.
                            you are correct sir.
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Ha!
                              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Working...
                              X