Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukes69
    If it makes you feel any better, I bent my driver side rear shaft.
    I think we've got a club in the making.
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

bentshaft club?
      you friggin perv :yay:
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Back on the subject of winches

I am going Warn (not sure which model ). I just found out from SuperWinch they only have a 1 year warranty. I have a hard time buying a product like this that the manufacturer does not feel confident enough to offer a lifetime warranty of some kind.

As far as used, no. I have horrible luck with used equipment.
        Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
          What broke Sarah? Has Rick done any failure analysis on it yet? I curious to know what went wrong.
          [ tech talk ] The little thing that holds the cable on broke off. [ /tech talk ]

It's a good thing we made it up first while it was working. (On the same trail he also broke his front axle.) Basically, it's a piece of junk like he expected, but the whole intention of it was to be recovery only. As the Jeep grows up, it's been used more often. Time to upgrade, going to eventually go with the Warn.
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Little thing that holds the cable on? As in, the clip that holds the "winch end" of the cable to the drum? If so, that should never have any stress on it, as they are never designed to hold weight, just to hold the cable to the drum. Always keep 6 or 7 wraps of cable on the drum to keep that piece from breaking off. Of course, if you are talking about something different, then forget I mentioned it.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
              Little thing that holds the cable on? As in, the clip that holds the "winch end" of the cable to the drum? If so, that should never have any stress on it, as they are never designed to hold weight, just to hold the cable to the drum. Always keep 6 or 7 wraps of cable on the drum to keep that piece from breaking off. Of course, if you are talking about something different, then forget I mentioned it.
              Yes. And I believe you are correct, it shouldn't have any stress on it, and even with a handful of wraps on it, it still wouldn't hold. It's like the drum is to slippery.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Interesting Sarah. How many wraps did Rick have on the winch when it broke? FWIW, I have a large red paint mark on my cable that is about 10 wraps from the end, makes a nice visual reminder. I guess I am going to have to stretch the cable out on mine and try a good hard pull right at the mark to see if the cable slips on the drum or not.
                olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

the cable deffinately should be stretched a number of times befor you use it on a real pull. i re stretch, and align my cable/rope after every run that i use my winch on.
                  i go back to the grocery store and drag my jeep to one of those yellow posts.
                  it is critically important to have the cable properly stretched. those HF cables are a really big diameter too...
                  ERIK

Comment

So that was YOU in the Pavillions lot on South
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY
                    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

HA! yes it was
                      you cought me
                      i live right behind there on canehill.
                      ERIK

Comment

I'm there often - GF lives just west of Rosecrans off South
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY
                        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I have settled on which winch to get. Warn XD9000i.

Anyone have or heard of any problems with this one?

Thanks
                          Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

Originally posted by nagal
                            I have settled on which winch to get. Warn XD9000i.

Anyone have or heard of any problems with this one?

Thanks
                            That's a very good winch, it'll give you many years of solid performance. :thumbs_up
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X