Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on towing.

I have a 1990 Wrangler. In the Chiltons manual it describes some mumbo jumbo about disconnecting differentials and stuff(as you can tell, Im not very mechanical)before towing.It has 168,000 miles and I would rather tow it to my 4wd destination.Any suggestions???

what kind of towing? flat tow or dolly?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

I was hoping to go cheap...................would a regular tow bar work??

Comment

if you go with a towbar i think putting the trans in gear and the T-case in neutral would be ok. if you wanna be on the safe side you could pull the front driveshaft.

what kind of mumbo jumbo does the chiltons say??
        B R E T T
        87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

The T case is the 4w4 shifter??( Im new to this!!) As far as the Chiltons book............I dont recall for sure, some stuff that sounded real tech...............I have the book at home and will post what it says exactly later..................thanks>>

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner
            I have a 1990 Wrangler. In the Chiltons manual it describes some mumbo jumbo about disconnecting differentials and stuff(as you can tell, Im not very mechanical)before towing.It has 168,000 miles and I would rather tow it to my 4wd destination.Any suggestions???
            Go to walmart or pep boys or any place that carries tow bars, I got mine for $129.00 with tax, its adjustable and comes with universal mounts, Enlarged a hole in my bumper and put the brackets threre, Or you can go to currie enterprises site (I think its currie enterprises.com) and they have a nice set up for the YJ for about 100 to 200 bucks..
            04TJ, 4.0 5spd
            4" rough country springs
            Nth degree arms upper and lower
            1" Currie MML/BL
            Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
            33"BFG MT's
            Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Thanks New One, thats what I had in mind, but the manual makes it sound like I could do some damage towing it that way..................in your opinion, is it pretty safe. Also, I dont have a stock bumper, so I will have to weld some brackets to the frame, right??

Comment

Originally posted by Jr. Bonner
                Thanks New One, thats what I had in mind, but the manual makes it sound like I could do some damage towing it that way..................in your opinion, is it pretty safe. Also, I dont have a stock bumper, so I will have to weld some brackets to the frame, right??

The universal brackets that come with it are bolt on, drill and run the bolt in, Depending on kind of bumper is what you will have to do, Try currie enterprises, they have a set up that the tow bar hooks to the shackle. Im towing mine behind the motorhome to panamint so will know for sure after the trip how it all works, Just make sure to put the transfer case in neutral and the trans in gear... At least thats what the book says to do,
                04TJ, 4.0 5spd
                4" rough country springs
                Nth degree arms upper and lower
                1" Currie MML/BL
                Jc fab rockers & 1" seat lift
                33"BFG MT's
                Lock-rite in the front

Comment

Working...
                X