Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering recentering itself (or not)

It just seems to me, or maybe it's all in my head, that after my last trip the steering on the rubi doesn't recenter itself as easily as it used to before. Like I'll turn right into a street and it'll want to continue turning and I would have to put a bit more force to make it go straight again.

I am not 100% sure if there is an actual problem but it just seemed like before, it would straighten itself out a lot easier. I've checked power steering fluid and it seems fine. It also seems to drive and steer fine and I haven't noticed any damaged steering linkages though maybe I'm not looking at the right thing.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to check out?

FYI, this is an 03 Rubicon with the 6" full traction long arm kit and 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 wheels.
    03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
    "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

did you upgrade your steering system or stabilizer too ?

Comment

Nope ... it's all stock except for whatever that comes with the kit. This is what it looks like (right after the lift was done a few months ago):

The silver parts came with the kit and the black parts are stock.
      "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by seapahn
        Nope ... it's all stock except for whatever that comes with the kit. This is what it looks like (right after the lift was done a few months ago):

The silver parts came with the kit and the black parts are stock.

GEEESUS H!! What is all that stuff!!!

Check your caster. Return to center is one of the functions of caster. Oh, beats the hell out of me how to check it, but Check it!!
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yup, caster, but the only way that could have changed is if your control arm length changed. did you bend your lower arms?
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

The amount of Caster angle is what affects 'return to center' feel. The more Caster angle, the more it wants to return to center.

Any suspension lift reduces the amount of Caster angle due to how the control arms will rotate the axle slightly as the control arm angle steepens. So you can add a little Caster angle back with adjustable control arms up front.

Just be careful not to try to adjust it back to the original factory Caster angle (7 degrees) because that would likely cause the front driveshaft to start vibrating at the u-joint between the pinion shaft and driveshaft. The taller the lift, the less Caster angle you can have before this happens. With your amount of lift, 6", I'd try for no more than around 5.5 degrees of Caster angle.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks amigos ... I'll take a closer look this weekend. I don't think the control arms are bent but you never know!

Comment

Working...
              X