Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best salvage yard place to look for axles?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted, thanks for looking out! One of your leads turned out good I found a D44 front axle, 55" WMS width. Open knuckle, locking hubs, disc brakes (hopefully they fit my wheels!), tie-rod, open diff and unknown gear ratio.

Right now with my wheel spacers on the D25, I'm 53.5" WMS I think. so an extra 3/4" on each side won't hurt.

I'll pick up the axle next week hopefully.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

If it's 3.73 and down, TJ rubicon 4.10's will go right in. They're still fairly easy to find. You can also go with the JK rear 4.10's and the Jana 44 kit. It nets an 8.9" ring gear, D60 size pinion shaft and fits in the 44 housing with minor trimming. I would have gone this route if I had a set materialize before I got my new gears.
      Glad to help
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

I got 4.10 rubicon gears 2 sets you can have for free

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          I got 4.10 rubicon gears 2 sets you can have for free
          I've still not yet decided what gear ratio I want, but it'll be somewhere near 4.10. If 4.10 is what I want, I'll take ya up on that, thanks! I need to play with the gear ratio calculator, and make a decision on what final tire size I want. I'm leaning towards 35s instead of 32 or 33.

I should have the front axle tonight
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Got it!

It's got 3.55 gears, so I assume I'm going to need a different carrier to go to 4.10 or higher.

Comment

Nope thick gears work fine. You should be able to run rubicon 4.10 gears, most likely need to drill the holes for the ring gear bolts in the carrier out to 7/16 instead of 3/8".
              pretty sure the break is at 3.73 fort a D44

Comment

Right on Art! Congratulations Daniel.
                -sons of thunder

Comment

a few people have mentioned that I could use a toyota axle as well. Any idea what I would be looking for? A rear axle out of an FJ40? I know the FJ40s had offset axles.

I'd have to get a different set of wheels for the rear, since they are 6 instead of 5 lugs.

Comment

You can re-drill 6x5.5 to 5x5.5 pretty easily.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      You can re-drill 6x5.5 to 5x5.5 pretty easily.
                      oh! that's good to know, thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X