Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best salvage yard place to look for axles?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: best salvage yard place to look for axles?

So, I'm going to be looking for axles for my Willys soon, D44 in rear, and D44 or D30 for front, both narrow track passenger side offset. Probably anything from a jeep CJ. I need to find a list of what other vehicles they might be in.

I'm on the west side of Los Angeles, most of the salvage yards near me look pretty small. Anyone know of a good place to look for axles? Ideally I'd find full assemblies, but even just an in-tact housing would be ok.

Any place have axle assemblies already removed and sorted through? I'm hoping to take a day off of work sometime to drive out and hopefully come back with at least a rear axle.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Here is a thread on Pirate

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-s...age-yards.html
    Rich

Comment

Thanks! I've sent an email to a few places, if I don't hear back a few days into next week, I'll start calling. See what I can find

If anyone hears of anything available, 5.5x5 bolt patter would be ideal, but 5x4.5 would be acceptable I guess. 4.10 gears would also be ideal.

If any work on the gears needs to be done (re-gear, and/or locker installs), I'm going to have ROBERTK handle that.
      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

I saw a set of CJ axles on C/L the other day for $300. Only issues were D30/AMC20 and 3.30 gears. IIRC the 20 was locked though.

With a truss the 20 looks like it would be a contender for a light rig. The ratio break is 3.08 so they give a wide range without having to change carriers.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

J & W claim to have the largest selection of Jeep parts. 8626 Antelope North Rd
          Antelope, Give them a call. Sorry no phone number.

Comment

Thanks! Will do

Oh, nevermind, they are pretty far away, Sacremento haha!

Comment

Sorry didn't realize their local. Pirate classified has some you might be intrested in. Share Tweet This! Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 06-11-2015, 04:02 PM #1 (permalink)
              Crawln7

Member # 274257

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm selling a Dana 60 rear and 44 front both with arb lockers 4.56 Gears 5 on 5.5. 58 inchs wheel mount. These axles were built by currie. Asking 4000 for the pair. Call or text for more info 661 4286034.Make him an offer he might come down on the price.

Comment

There is a jeep/Mercedes yard in Wilmington. Can't remember the name off hand. A&G I think. They pull all the parts if I remember. I'll get the details for ya when I get home.
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                  There is a jeep/Mercedes yard in Wilmington. Can't remember the name off hand. A&G I think. They pull all the parts if I remember. I'll get the details for ya when I get home.
                  Thanks!

I did contact that J & W place up in Antelope, they said they didn't have what I'm looking for on hand right now. I don't imagine shipping on axles would be cheap though, but I figured I'd see if they had some anyway.

Comment

AMC Auto Salvage 310 830-6880
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Thanks! I'll check with them :-) If they don't have something, maybe they can put me on a list and call me when they do have what I'm looking for. Since I don't need it immediately (especially the front)

Comment

AMC didn't have anything, but he gave me the number of a guy who might. Gave him a call, he's gonna get back with me tomorrow.

Comment

AMC in Wilmington is crazy expensive. Ecology right next door almost always has Cherokees and I saw an old Wagoner pick up there that I felt bad for being there. They cycle alot of trucks there I almost always find what I need there. Or you can try http://www.car-part.com/ or these guys https://www.lkqonline.com/?utm_sourc...-brand-exact#/
                          Last edited by paulhead; 06-17-15, 11:33 PM.
                          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Speaking of expensive, what should the going price for a front and rear D44 complete with brakes? (I'm gonna assume that most of them have open diffs) I was figuring on it being at least $300 per axle. Am I far off? How much is to much to pay for a stock axle assembly? (I don't hit junk yards often)

Comment

It all depends on how soon you want it, how wide you want it and how much you are willing to do yourself. $300-$600 per axle depending on gearing, differential, disc brakes and knuckles.

Keep your eyes open for 1974-1979 Scout II's. They have 60" wms width on the back and IIRC 61" on the front with disc brakes standard. They have 5 on 5.5" hubs too. The only oddity is the spindle is a weird 8 bolt pattern. Pre'74 had D44 rears but D30 fronts. '72 and later had the 30 spline flanged axles.

mid 70's Grand Wagoneers also had D44 fronts with passenger side front diffs. A lot also had offset diffs on the rear. I'm not too sure on widths, but I can tell you 61" in the front of 1985 - but that's a driver's side drop.

What work are you willing to do? Are you willing to shorten tubes or swap brake components, spindles and hubs? Do you want plug and play? If you are diligent and willing to be a bit patient, you can do this very affordably.

Keep your eyes on C/L. Not that it happens every day, but I got my 1985 Grand Wagoneer D44 and a c/v front shaft for $0.00. On the same trip I picked up a full width front with drum flat tops and disc spindles, hubs and rotors without axles or carrier for $50. I traded the Waggy knuckles and full width outer setup and the d/s for two sets of TJ Rubicon 4.10's. I put a set of them on a trac-lok carrier I had from a postal Jeep axle that was thrown in on a deal forever ago. Now I have a flat-top, disc brake, trac-lok D44 with a few tanks of gas invested - and trading stock still left to boot.
                              God forgives, rocks don't
                              -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                              X