Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression test = fail

I stopped taking tests back in college but the Jeep needed one.

A couple of weeks ago the Jeep started running like dog leavins in the back yard so I did the classic maintenance, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter. At idle it seemed like there was a miss. At higher speeds it was better. So I did a compression test and for those taking score, here are my numbers.
    1 - 91
    2 - 93
    3 - 78
    4- 90

If we average the scores, I passed with a B. Yay!

Time to pull the head and do a valve/ring job. Look Honey, I bought you a ring.

It's alright, I've got 5 weeks until HDR. Git'er done.

I think the numbers for the three high cylinders are low but #3, e-gad. What says the MJR gearheads?

No more that a 10% difference allowed. Did you crank it with a hot engine and the throttle wide open?

Comment

Where's the other cylinders?

[COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Hot engine no, but throttle wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
          Where's the other cylinders?

You are a riot

Comment

Did you do a wet and dry test? Number 3 is pretty low, I guess due to a worn ring.

Comment

I did the wet test after and the numbers went up :fail:

The head and block are on their way out to be rebuilt. Jeep fund will now be empty again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                I did the wet test after and the numbers went up :fail:

The head and block are on their way out to be rebuilt. Jeep fund will now be empty again.
                [COLOR="#800000"]Be fixed by IDTT?[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                  [COLOR="#800000"]Be fixed by IDTT?[/COLOR]
                  I've got 4 solid weeks. It should be up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                    I've got 4 solid weeks. It should be up and running.
                    If it's not, you're welcome to ride with me.
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

QUOTE=daniel_buck;236895]If it's not, you're welcome to ride with me.[/QUOTE]

What kind of talk is that? It will be running.

But......if not, thanks Daniel.:thumbs_up[

Comment

I got the ball joints changed Yesterday (they finally arrived, took weeks!) and I got my transfer case shifter adjusted so I think it will stay in 4lo without popping out all the time. I think I'm ready for another trip.

Comment

Not good news. I found out that the head is cracked. The block is fine. While everything is out I'm putting in a new radiator and new motor mounts. The new driver's side mount I put in last year looks busted. I still should be ok for IDTT.

Comment

Gonna pull the motor? If so, good time to also look at the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and anything else you can get your eyes on under there!

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                              Gonna pull the motor? If so, good time to also look at the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and anything else you can get your eyes on under there!
                              Did all that when I replaced the clutch two years ago. I did do the Chuck inspection and took a real good look at the frame. The radiator looks like it's seen better days so with the engine out I have all sorts of room to work. What do expect for a twenty year old vehicle? After all this I should be good for another couple of decades.

I did always say that any major engine work would require a bigger motor but this just seemed to be the right direction to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X