Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are the old joints bad?
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Ok cool, there isn't a place for them. Pulling off the old ball joints was a real bear! Used a three foot cheater bar and it was still tough. The old ones were worn, they were sloppy when moving the pin around. Tomorrow everything goes back together. Thanks For all that helped! This forum has the most knowledgeable people of any forum I've been too! :thumbs_up

Comment

Too bad live way up there in thst ugly old country. I have sll the tools to make that job E Z
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
          Too bad live way up there in thst ugly old country. I have sll the tools to make that job E Z
          Having the right too for the right job is everything! I love getting new ones it's like getting a new toy, but unfortunately I don't get many at the cost of them.

Comment

When you are finished replacing the ball joints you will need to reset the toe in. It will NOT be correct, trust me. You can do it yourself easily with a tape measure and some other odds and ends. If you want to try it i will explain the procedure and what tools you need. Or you can take it back to the shop that aligned it for you. I would be suspicious of them if, indeed.your ball joints are bad enough to cause DW that they did not check them and catch that while doing the alignment. Thats the first order when doing alignments; check for worn and broken/missing parts.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
              When you are finished replacing the ball joints you will need to reset the toe in. It will NOT be correct, trust me. You can do it yourself easily with a tape measure and some other odds and ends. If you want to try it i will explain the procedure and what tools you need. Or you can take it back to the shop that aligned it for you. I would be suspicious of them if, indeed.your ball joints are bad enough to cause DW that they did not check them and catch that while doing the alignment. Thats the first order when doing alignments; check for worn and broken/missing parts.
              Balljoints replaced and still have the wobble. Yes Im thinking the front end needs to be aligned again. The shop that I went to would only tell me how far the front end was out. The manager said they weren't able to do the actual work because the front end has been modify and for liability reason they could only tell me out to do. He told me on the one side (driver side) to turn the spindle one complete turn and that would be close enough to pick up the 3/4" that I was out. So am keeping my fingers crossed that an alignment will fix it. If its not to complicated I would like to give it a try.
              Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                The manager said they weren't able to do the actual work because the front end has been modify and for liability reason they could only tell me out to do.
                Wow...I wish all I had to align were modified Jeeps. They happen to be very easy compared to whats out there stock. If they told you what was out of spec, the Jeep was on the alignment rack and set up. All they would have to do is set toe. As for your ball joints having play that was that noticeable.......Damn. Like Rat said, part of an alignment is finding worn parts. You don't align a worn out vehicle. If you do it comes back and bites you. What should have happened was..."We need (you need) to replace these parts before the Jeep can be aligned". It's possible the tech is poorly trained and the manager based his rule on vehicles that came back. Its too easy (and common) to say the vehicle is at fault instead of admitting you don't really know what your doing.

Scott
                Come to the dark side.....
                We have Cookies!

Comment

Ok DW gone! Replaced ball joints, track bar, drag link, tie rod, power streering box (sloppy n leaking), had tires balanced, front end alignment, adjust camber/casters. Thanks to all who helped out, and a special thanks to "Rat" for is PM on step by step instructions. It's time to go wheeling

Comment

nice! :-D
                    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
                      Its too easy (and common) to say the vehicle is at fault instead of admitting you don't really know what your doing.

Scott
                      [COLOR="#800000"]But this is my Go-To response while I'm bashing the front diff into a rock on the trail!![/COLOR]
                      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X