Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Wobble

What would be issue's for my TJ to start violently doing the "Death Wobble". I've taken care of the obvious ie; put a new off- road stabilizer on, had tires balanced, and had front wheel alignment. I've lubed all fittings and checked for anything that might be loose or worn out and can't find the problem. It starts its "wobble" at different speeds, sometimes it starts when I hit a bump in the road and other times it doesn't. Standing in front of it.... it looks like the tires tilt in a bit at the top, (maybe I'm seeing things) because like I mentioned I just had the front end aligned. Any ideas what it might be?

Ball joints probably, if it looks like your tires are tilted in a bit. Jack up one side, and give the tire a shake inward and outward. Push the top of the tire inwards, while pulling the bottom of the tire outwards, then vice versa rapidly. It shouldn't wiggle or move at all. If it does wiggle, you need new ball joints. You might be able to see the joint moving as well, if it's real bad.

loose/bad ball joints will indeed result in steering wheel shimmy, and I imagine if they are bad enough it might go into full on death wobble.

If the ball joints are indeed pretty loose/bad when during the time that the alignment was done, you may need to have the alignment re-done after you put the new ones in? I'm not sure, someone else may know for sure on that.

Ball joints are pretty easy to replace, a bit time consuming though. (at least, it took me a while to do both sides, probably a good afternoon, first time changing ball joints myself). You can rent/checkout ball joint tools at most parts places. I borrowed a setup from a friend.
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 04-10-14, 02:14 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Ah.... I bet you are right, dunno why I hadn't thought of it, replaced them in my F250 years ago. I'll post back with results after I can get to it.

Comment

Tires on a tj will lean in at the top. And the right side will lean more than the left side. Also the bigger the tire the more they seam to lean in at the top.
        It might be easier to put something under the tire after lifting it off the ground to lift the tire up and down.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

There are several things that cause DW. Since you just had it alinged did they give you the specs they set? It doesn't take much to get it right or wrong. Check the wheel weights. If you lost some an out of balance tire can exascerbate DW. Control arm bushings, track bar bushings, bad shock absorbers, separated belts in radial tires, some aftermarket cross over steering kits are all contributors to DW.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
            There are several things that cause DW. Since you just had it alinged did they give you the specs they set? It doesn't take much to get it right or wrong. Check the wheel weights. If you lost some an out of balance tire can exascerbate DW. Control arm bushings, track bar bushings, bad shock absorbers, separated belts in radial tires, some aftermarket cross over steering kits are all contributors to DW.
            The guy at the tire shop said the alignment was out 3/4". Tires are new and just balanced, everything else is the same, and yes it was doing the DW before I swapped out with new tires.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              Tires on a tj will lean in at the top. And the right side will lean more than the left side. Also the bigger the tire the more they seam to lean in at the top.
              I had no idea about that, I guess I never noticed it on mine.
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I bought my TJ with 18k miles and had death wobble on the way home. Replaced the tires (they were junk) and it went away. It came back at 30k. By that time Ive raised it, and pounded it off road. Tested and replaced every part that could have caused it. Turned out the flex in my aftermarket track bar bushings were the problem, even though they looked good. I made one with solid ends and problem was gone.

I chased that problem for over 2 years. Most of what I read told me that anything worn out or slightly loose in the steering will cause it as well as tire balance. Most of the ones I read about were fixed by either properly balancing the tires or putting a good aftermarket track bar on. The flex in my suspension wore out my track bar bushings.

If you just had your tires balanced, look at the wheel weights. Most tire shops don't properly balance off road tires. You want the weights placed on or near the outer edges of the rim (dynamic balance), not in a row inside, center (static balance). My beadlocks prevent me from properly balancing and my tires shake. My deathwobble has been gone for over a year, but I keep a close eye on everything just in case.
                Last edited by Zoobi; 04-11-14, 08:49 AM.
                Come to the dark side.....
                We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                  The guy at the tire shop said the alignment was out 3/4". Tires are new and just balanced, everything else is the same, and yes it was doing the DW before I swapped out with new tires.
                  Was the 3/4" for the toe in? That's a big number for toe in. What tire size? And do you have a drop pitman arm? If so check it for cracks at the spline end that bolts to the steering box. Sure would like to know what they set the toe in at and what the camber number is.

Comment

I was told it was "out" and needed to be brought in. I'm running 35's, and yes I have a dropped pitman arm. I'll check it out.
                    thanks..

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                    Was the 3/4" for the toe in? That's a big number for toe in. What tire size? And do you have a drop pitman arm? If so check it for cracks at the spline end that bolts to the steering box. Sure would like to know what they set the toe in at and what the camber number is.

Comment

I was told it was "out" and needed to be brought in. I'm running 35's, and yes I have a dropped pitman arm. I'll check it out.
                      thanks..
                      I run 1/16"-3/16" toe in with both 35 and 37" tires. No more. So if your's was 3/4" out either way that had to be unbearable. I still think you may have something worn under there (see the previous posts for all the options on what might be worn). How old are the tie rod ends on the steering? If they get sloppy so does the steering. You replaced the road stabilizer. Do you mean the steering damper? The shock that mounts on the drag link? What about the track bar bushings? Might even look at the track bar mount on the frame to see if it has broken or cracked.
                      And, this is my personal bailiwick... I freaking HATE drop pitman arms. I've had more trouble with them than they are worth. It's a myth that when you raise the suspension that you automatically need a drop pitman arm to re-align the steering geometry. As long as the drag link and the track bar are at the same angle, you do not need a drop pitman. And most track bar mounts are adjustable. Since I put a stock pitman arm back on I have had ZERO steering issues. I had three drop pitmans crack on me, one broke off on Cleghorn. I've yet to break a stock one. (Knock on wood five times).

Comment

All good information, I'll start looking into them starting with the ball joints. I have broken my drop down pitman as well...hmm, wonder if I could get a stock one to work. One other thing that I noticed, is with my wheels pointed directly ahead, my steering wheel is turn slightly to the left. I'll post back as I go through them all.

Comment

One other thing that I noticed, is with my wheels pointed directly ahead, my steering wheel is turn slightly to the left. I'll post back as I go through them all.
                          Tie rod is probably bent a little. Common issue with Jeeps that off road.

Comment

Received new ball joints today... there's a funny looking part that looks sort of like the end of a hose bib, but with a split down the side, is this something to be used for easier installation for the new ball joints?

Comment

Received new ball joints today... there's a funny looking part that looks sort of like the end of a hose bib, but with a split down the side, is this something to be used for easier installation for the new ball joints?
                              Its threaded right? Thats for a different aplication and does not apply to your tj. But in some freak incident you DO have them you will see them when you start to change the ball joints. They screw into the inner C where the ball joint fits.

Comment

Working...
                              X