Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part time 4wheel

since i am new please be nice. ok jeepers who can help one thing i dont understand bout my new jeep a 2002 wrangler sport is when shifted in to 4 low or 4 high the dash says part time 4 do i not have full time or is this because of no lockers in the axels, my brothers gfs 00wrangler does the same thing and when tire spin happens you get one front and the opposite rear is this part time?
    im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
    4 inch rough country lift
    35x12.5LT16's
    super budget 3 inch body lift

it has nothing to do with the locked or unlocked diffs....it says part time because that is exactly what the 4wd is....its a part time system meaning its meant only to be used part time, on loose surfaces or snow or maybe really heavy rain and that sort of thing since it locks the front and rear drivelines together engage it on dry pavement and try to turn and you will see what i mean by locking the drivelines together you will get wheel hop and if you try out the 4wd on dry pavement you will know oh yea i also dont recemmend doing it, can cause some damage. other 4wd systems have the option of full time, which can be used all the time there is a....hmm cant think of the word....but the drive lines arent locked together meaning they can spin at different speeds. i think the power goes to the place of least resistance. in part time mode you will at least have 2 wheels spinning, one front and one back....hope that helps ya somewhat....
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Your getting good Brett!

I dont think I could have said it better myself!
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

thanks!!!! :shade:

i also have my own question, i was gonna include it in my post but wawsnt sure if it was true...if your in full time on a 242 t case can you have just ONE wheel spinning?? so basically its like it is in 2 wheel drive?? like maybe if you have one wheel of the ground??
        B R E T T

Comment

Maybe this helps. You probably have open diffs. (no lockers) or maybe a limited slip in the rear (there will be a tag on the diff. telling you to use an additive when changing fluid and a tag saying the gear ratio). With an open diff. the power is shifted to the wheel with the least traction even in 4wd (not the best for wheelin). I found myself in a situation where my right front wheel was off the ground getting the power and the rear left was about to come off the ground. My limited slip in the rear wouldn't engage enough to get me over the obstacle. Feathering the brakes was not much help so I backed down. Now I have an OX locker in the front diff. rear still has the factory limited slip which works well and I can get over any obstacle that clearance and 31" tire will allow with ease.
          Oh yeah, that part time light is the only light that lights up in my dash, there is a "Full Time" I can see in the dash but it never lights up, even during start up test. ???

Have fun, take your time, be safe and make this last for a long time, B&T TJ

Comment

thanks that helps now i know, also explains why when i was checking out evrything my jeep went to hoppen around on the asphault when was in 4 high, thanks again
            im lovin it

2004 wrangler se
            4 inch rough country lift
            35x12.5LT16's
            super budget 3 inch body lift

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
              thanks!!!! :shade:

i also have my own question, i was gonna include it in my post but wawsnt sure if it was true...if your in full time on a 242 t case can you have just ONE wheel spinning?? so basically its like it is in 2 wheel drive?? like maybe if you have one wheel of the ground??

Thats the 249 case, and its one of its problems
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                Thats the 249 case, and its one of its problems
                is that by chance the tc Jeff(your rear wheel's arn't turning) had in his grand?
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  is that by chance the tc Jeff(your rear wheel's arn't turning) had in his grand?
                  Nail Head

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

249=trash.
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

so on the 249 if its put in 4LO, that locks the drive shafts right??
                      B R E T T

Comment

I dont know what it does, but I do know that it doesnt work worth a shat!
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                          so on the 249 if its put in 4LO, that locks the drive shafts right??

IIRC, the later 249s will lock the front & rear together in low range. the earlier ones did not, so yes, you could end up with just one wheel (the one with the least traction) spinning. also, if the 249's viscous coupler is going bad, that will lock the f & r drivelines together, even in high range.

on a related not... anyone have a 96 or newer 242 they want to get rid of for cheap?

Comment

my dads 01 grand has a NP247 which i guess is Quadra Trac II, any one know if that one will act the same as a 249??
                            B R E T T

Comment

ok i looked on the jeep website at the different 4wd systems...do they still have the 249 in any new jeeps? on all the new 4wd systems it appeared that whenever you have full time 4wd it shows that if one wheel loses traction power is sent to the other wheels and that works all the way up to 3 no traction and 1 with...i guess if a wheel was off the ground then it might screw it all up...hmmmmm
                              B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                              X