Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Think the ECU took a dump

Pulled up to a stoplight and it died. Used the starter to pull into a parking lot and didn't get any gasoline smell - so I assume the injectors aren't firing. Ignition power does come on, but it won't give up the diagnostic codes. Also noticed the speedometer (electronic) didn't register as my wife towed me home.
    Anybody have the ECU schematic or know if there's a particular IC that tends to go out after 20 years.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Make sure there is battery andf ignition power to the ecm first

Comment

Thanks for the input Art. The starter solenoid is fed by the same 40A fuse and the ignition power from the key switch powers the starter relay coil.
      -sons of thunder

Comment

That still does not tell you that there is power at the ecm connectors, basics first baby.
        No check engine light is either no power or it's toast. Checking power at the ecm connectors is cheap lol

Comment

I do have the check engine light. It just doesn't flash the codes at me when I cycle the key. It also tells me I need to upshift when the engine is off (ignition on and not running for over 5min). I'll have to look into it more tomorrow.
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            That still does not tell you that there is power at the ecm connectors, basics first baby.
            No check engine light is either no power or it's toast. Checking power at the ecm connectors is cheap lol
            Are you Art Welch? If so, a big Howdy to you Art, I haven't seen you in years.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks for the Howdy, but I am not that Art

Comment

Ok thanks, that your user name started with AW made me think you might have been Art Welch.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

By the way if you need an ecm, Skeeter is selling his on here for cheap since he had a Stroker and whole bunch of other goodies installed

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...694#post219694

Comment

Given my schedule, I have to always prepare for worst case. It died Saturday at 6:30AM and I finally got to look at it this morning at 10:00. First fuse I looked at - bingo. 30A fuel pump/ecm. My manual didn't show that fuse - it said it existed, but didn't show the amps or whether it was a supply to the ecm or a feed to something else. ¢300 to fix it. Actually, I used my Autozone repeat offenders card to get it, so as the kid said, it cost free hundred. Thanks for letting me pick your brain again Art.
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      Given my schedule, I have to always prepare for worst case. It died Saturday at 6:30AM and I finally got to look at it this morning at 10:00. First fuse I looked at - bingo. 30A fuel pump/ecm. My manual didn't show that fuse - it said it existed, but didn't show the amps or whether it was a supply to the ecm or a feed to something else. ¢300 to fix it. Actually, I used my Autozone repeat offenders card to get it, so as the kid said, it cost free hundred. Thanks for letting me pick your brain again Art.
                      Always check the simple shit first

Comment

That fuse 'died' for a reason......
                        Somedamnthing ain't 'rite' in the wiring.
                        LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I still think you should put in a new ECU just for fun

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                            LG
                            Fully agree with that one

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                              LG
                              Welllllll, logic would imply that there may be a problem with the wiring. But, with all the crap coming from China today, I'd be tempted to put a new fuse in, and see what happens. However a new ECM, probaly couldn't urt, and look what you would gain in knowing it's new. Wait, was the ECM built in China? Better hold off and see how the fuse does. Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X