Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Re-Gear?

Trying to learn all I can, and I keep seeing threads about regearing. Why would you do this? What would it do? Why are two of the "almost" same jeeps stock with different gears? What gears would one want to go to? What's the benefit?
    Just spill it! Tell all!!! What's the deal with regearing?!?!
    (I know I have to jack my babe up then spin her tires and see how many times this spin equals that spin and how long it takes the moon to rotate three times and pass the sun and I will know what gears I personally have.) <----- Aside from that way, how do I figure out what gears I have and if they are appropriate?
    Thanks!
    Kim

PS: HOPI smells.
    2000 TJ Wrangler (RED)
    1961 CJ-5 Willys (BLUE)
    http://www.geocities.com/willysjeep1961/

Originally posted by 61Willys

PS: HOPI smells.
    ROTF!

TOO FREAKIN FUNNY...youre killing me here.

ok ok ok...Gearing.

Ill let the guys answer

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Simple answer: Larger tires give the feeling of a loss of power. Regearing fixes that.
      I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

And what's the english translation of how to find out what gears I have???
        I have the 4-banger, 2000 SE. No sport. No Rubi. Just a JEEP!!!
        2000 TJ Wrangler (RED)
        1961 CJ-5 Willys (BLUE)

Comment

Regearing allows the engine to spin more times per wheel rotation so it is easier on the engine to spin the big tires and keep the RPMs right where they should be..........................I think...
          B R E T T
          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

easier on the engine, restores lost power, keeps the engine in its powerband, less stress on drivetrain components (axle shafts, transfer case output shaft, u-joints, etc.)

as to stock jeeps, different gears: the 4 banger has lower gears since the engine revs higher to get its power, while the 6-cyl has higher gears since the engine doesn't need to spin as fast. another situation might be a tow package.

your axles *should* have tags on them indicating the gear ratio, assuming they haven't been lost, or the axle has already been regeared.

Comment

Originally posted by 61Willys
              And what's the english translation of how to find out what gears I have???
              I have the 4-banger, 2000 SE. No sport. No Rubi. Just a JEEP!!!
              If you have an auto you have 3.73 gears, regear to 4.56 for 33's
              If you have a manual you have 4.10 gears, regear to 4.88 for 33's

Comment

So, that means that in my manual, I have 4.10?!?!?! :confused:
                I've heard everybody talking about #s in the 3's. (3.0, 3.72, etc.)
                That sounds like an awefully high #.
                But...then again... I know about:
                <------That much about mechanical stuffs!

(but I'm learning!)

Kim
                2000 TJ Wrangler (RED)
                1961 CJ-5 Willys (BLUE)

Comment

You think that's high? Don't look in your Willy's, some of them came with 5.38 gears in them.
                  Remember that the gears job is torque multiplication. So if your motor doesn't put out a lot of torque then the transmission and axles have to make up for that.

Comment

Thanks RBJ. The logic makes sense now. Without the reasoning for the gears in the first place, I'm working with my dimmer switch on low!!
                    It seems that I can now run my 33s with stock gears and a replaced speedo gear for re-calibration!

Yay me!!! Thanks all!
                    2000 TJ Wrangler (RED)
                    1961 CJ-5 Willys (BLUE)

Comment

I have the 4L motor pushing an auto tranny with 4.10 gears on 33's and I find that I have to turn overdrive not infrequently. However, I also find that I can cruise at fairly high speeds with overdrive on, just takes a while and a lot of engine whirring to get there.

I suspect with a 4 cylinder, manual tranny and 4.10 anything other than level steady speed driving will be painful.
                      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

I have the auto tranny 4.0L and 33's and have to run with the OD off almost all of the time. What is the cost of regearing?

Jason
                        The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

I think you can get gears for about 150 bucks give or take a few dollars. But i have no idea on the install costs....anyone know im interested also....
                          B R E T T
                          87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

If you plan on having someone else install the gears, plan on spending upwards of $500 per axle, more if you plan on adding a locker at the same time. In addition to the gears, you will also need a install kit (bearings, seals, and a shim set).

If you install the gears yourself, plan on $250+ for the parts, plus the cost of whatever locker you install.

BTW, when installing the gears is the best time to install the locker, since you have it apart anyway, you will save on paying labor charges for the install.
                            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

I drive a Rubi. I already have a locker. So, I would have to do both axles? Forgive my ignorance......

Jason
                              The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X