Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 81cjRocks View Post
    I would like to stay with the 6 speed transmission , but I don't know exactly what to do about the cps , or the rest of the wires leading to the transmission ..
    Thank you ....
    If you use the '05 motor, flywheel and 6 speed the '95 CPU will work as long as you have the '95 distributor. I don't know if the connector for the CPS is the same, but the harness will definitely have to be extended. The only difference in wiring on the 6 speed vs. 5 speed is the backup light switch is on the other side of the tranny. You will have to extend the wires by about a foot. Polarity doesn't matter since it's only a switch. The 6 speed has a different connector for the backup switch too.
    If you put the '95 flywheel in you will have to modify the bellhousing to use the '95 CPS. It's easy to do. The advantage to that is that you can modify the CPS to grab up to 4 degrees more static advance for a bit of free torque.
    If you are using the TJ floor mounted transfer case shifter you'll be good to go. If you are going to use the YJ case mounted shifter you will need to make a short bracket to mount the shifter to the tranny case. I used an old YJ spring shackle. It only needs one hole drilled, bent and trimmed a bit - no trick fab skills necessary. The YJ transmission mount bolts right to the 6 speed and fits with no modification.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks , I'll be hitting junkyards next week to find a 95' wiring harness , cps , and the rest of the sensors to match the harness..I think that will work with this 05' motor..

Comment

The only difference in motors is the '05 flywheel has the tone ring slots cut in a different pattern for the CPS to read at the 3 o'clock position whereas the '95 CPS reads at 11 o'clock.
        There are a handful of differences in the motor itself but none will keep it from running with the '95 CPU.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

That's right. But the 95' Sensor plugs are different than the 05' so I'll have to change all the sensors on the motor and do away with some like Knock etc.. The first step is to find a 95' Jeep yj in a Junk / Scrap yard ... I have yet to come close..
          I hope you can keep this thread going , I read a lot of threads on other sights where people try to do this , and have a million questions.The fact is there's so much in accurate info that it gets confusing ... Like swapping to a V-8 318 - or 360..
          Thanks ....
          ----cjRocks----

Comment

Working...
          X