Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 4.0 into 95' YJ?

What will it take to make this work?
    I have a few options as I do have a complete 2005 4.0 with accessories and a computer from same.

I'm thinking the easiest way to do this is to swap the block and accessories minus distributor-less stuff and throttle body/sensors. Is this feasible?

I am hoping the distributor from my 95 will fit in the OPDA hole and work correctly on the 05.

Any thoughts or input on what it is going to take this get this pig into my YJ?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

I like the multiport injection and solid state ignition, but short of any compatibility issues (of which I am ignorant), it sounds like converting the newer engine to your older injection/ ignition would be easier and probably cheaper than going with the newer stuff.

To convert to the newer system, you'd need the engine control wiring harness, high pressure fuel pump and lines (etc), CPS, flywheel or flexplate, bellhousing made or modified for said CPS, OR a kit to mount the CPS to the front pulley/ damper, a second EGO sensor if you don't have one, and probably a thing or three I'm forgetting. It's nice to have a complete donor car for these sorts of things.

Back in the bad old days I spent a lot of time and money at junkyards and dealerships. Internet makes sourcing that stuff a lot easier.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Set the engines side by side and see what you all can swap over. If the distributor and opda gears look and measure the same and the engine harness fits, you are good. Might have to swap the fuel rail also YJ's have a fuel return line don't they?
      TJ's don't, so that would need to be swapped and probably some other things. If all else fails you can make the whole 2005 shebang work but that would need to use all the 2005 emision parts including all the cats and a visit to the referee.
      Your original plan is the way to go, but might require some engine part swapping.

Comment

The most overlooked issue in these swaps is the CPS. The YJ would pick up at 11:00 as vieved from the back, the '05 picks up at 2:00. The flywheels need to stay with their respective bellhousings. You can make the '05 engine and tranny work with the YJ CPS, but you have to make a new hole for it in the bellhousing. If you need a template for it, just say the word.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

You are the CPS man.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

So, with the CPS, if I swap in my ax15, the CPS pickup will be in the correct location for the YJ computer, right?
            I do also have the 05 Computer, wiring harness and transmission, so that is a viable option. I am wondering if the TJ computer would work with my gauges, or if I have to switch to the TJ cluster as well.

I am undecided what the best direction for this is.

If there are not significant gains in HP or MPG in switching to all of the TJ emission crap, I'm thinking the block and accessory swap will be the way to go.

Then just continue with the YJ computer, fuel rail, throttle body, and distributor as well as the AX15, flywheel from the early 4.0 and the YJ CPS. Am I missing anything?
            Is there a real benefit to the TJ ignition/emissions?

I do have the 05 Automatic transmission as well as an option. Also I do have the exhaust including the 3 cats and o2 sensors.

Does the 05 require a higher pressure fuel pump than the 95 4.0?
            Last edited by NAILER341; 07-03-12, 07:22 AM.
            ERIK

Comment

The big difference in fuel delivery is that the YJ has a return line so the pressure regulator is on the fuel injector rail.
              TJ's have the regulator on the top of the tank and a single fuel line to the fuel rail.
              The crank sensor you will have to mount in the correct location on the block most likely you have to drill and tap the mounting holes.
              The gauges will not work with the TJ computer since the TJ instrument cluster is data driven on a data bus. No separate wires from engine sensors going directly to the gauges. Lastly if you transplant the whole 2005 engine and emision kittenkaboodle you will have to visit
              the referee to get a new emision label so it can be legally smogged

Comment

Sounds like a block swap-
                I'll be having a bunch of 05 stuff for sale soon. I'll wait until I get this in the hole before I sell everything off, but I have all of the emissions, computer 4 speed trans, and a bunch of other stuff. If anyone needs this stuff, keep me in mind. I'll be selling it off soon enough.
                ERIK

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, you'll be looking at some issues. I have a 97 and researched a newer engine swap. I learned that anything above a 98 will cause a can of worms. Up to 98 is OBDII and uses a distributor. After 98 it went to a distributor-less ignition. Not sure/rather, I dont' remember but Im pretty sure you'd be better off with a 98 or less. Dont know how much your willing to spend or what your mechanical and living arrangement is, but you may want to look into a stroker build or purchase. You can build a better than new engine with about 100 more hp for around 2300.00 if you started from dead scratch. Cut a few corners and you can do it for WAY less. Something to think about.
                  1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

The fuel pressure difference is that the YJ used a lower pound injector. With the '99+TJ, they had to atomize the fuel differently (I know - that's a lame way to say it) to compensate for flow characteristics in the head. They made the head changes to comply with smog regulations and thus came out with the swept, equal length intake manifold. Which of course necessitated a slightly different cam grind. Which required a different injector size... Repeat cycle...
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Any luck getting this swap to work?

Comment

YES! This is in there and working with the help of Dukes1969 on this forum.
                        We were able to mount it in there directly using the existing Motor mounts. We retained the '95 computer which meant we swapped over the wiring harness, distributor, fuel injectors and other electronics mounted tot he '95 engine to make it work.
                        The biggest issue was the alternator, but it was not too bad to get resolved. Just a bit of brain power and technical jibber jabber from Chris.

It is in and running strong. Overall it has been a great swap-
                        E
                        ERIK

Comment

Good to hear!
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Hey Nailer .. I know this thread is kinda old , but I could use some help if possible.. I found a 1995 Jeep Wrangler with a 2005 Motor and 6 speed Transmission.. Someone put the complete harness , and computer in it but couldn't get the wiring figured out..
                            I changed the wireless distributor , the fuel rail , intake manifold , and fuel injectors , and I'm in the process of changing all of the sensors , wiring harness and computer to 95' I-6..
                            I would like to stay with the 6 speed transmission , but I don't know exactly what to do about the cps , or the rest of the wires leading to the transmission .. Did you use the 05' trans.? This is my wife's first Jeep and she's really excited about getting it running..Any help would be greatly appreciated ..
                            Thank you ....
                            Last edited by 81cjRocks; 02-27-14, 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am using the nv3550 manual trans. All the rest of what you are doing sounds like it will allow the 95 CPU to work again.
                              ERIK

Comment

Working...
                              X