Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37's "Virtual Build"

[COLOR="sienna"]So, this thread was started as a discussion of how to run 37" tires. The original discussion started as D30 vs. D44 and grew into a discussion about how to build an axle capable of running 37's keeping the cost low, but having the needed strength.

We all know that there are full axle packages available. Currie rock jock series, Dynatrac pro-rock series, high 9's were mentioned. The terms "if you know where to look" and "if you shop around" were thrown around a lot.

We all know that people shop craigslist tirelessly, frequent pick-a-part so often they hand us coffee and a donut when we walk in, and many people "know a guy" at many of the online Jeep parts suppliers. If it's a price that you have paid (somewhat recently) or if your special hook-up guy would agree to give MJR peeps the same price then ok. But if we have to go through you to get the part at that price...well that's not quite ideal is it? And craigslist really isn't dependable to have what you need at the price you paid for it last time is it? So the, "I got *insert part* off criagslist for half that price." isn't a valid point.

I think first, some parameters need to be agreed upon. Example: What does "capable of handling 37's" mean? I could strap 37's onto my Jeep right now, and maybe after 3 tanks of gas get it to the supermarket. But no way in hell can I get it to crawl over anything without my D30 failing. On the other hand, do we want to make it capable of tackling outer limits? My guess is that most of us do something in between those two extremes. For the sake of this build, lets go with "vanilla" as much as possible.

So, in the effort of keeping this a build for the common Jeeper, we are going to assume a few things.

1. We'll have to use parts available to everyone, at the price anyone can get it for. (Pro-shops get discounts that we average humans can't.)
    2. Part source and price need at least a phone number, web site, or something people can actually use, this "build" is a resource too.
    3. Labor not included. Lets assume this is a "do the work yourself" build. If someone want's to pay a shop to do the work, then thats something they need to source.
    4. It is anticipated that "part quality" is going to be debatable, but I'm sure we can keep it civil...right? Everything on most of our Jeeps is a compromise of price. The ability to get the best stuff on the market often comes down to what you're willing to pay for it.
    5. I propose building a D44, D60 a hardened D30, and a high 9 too. Let's assume a driver that's moderate on the skinny pedal.
    6. Peripheral parts need to be included. If you want to stop 37's using a D30, are you going to do a brake upgrade? Stuff like that.
    7. Often, you can make a solution by putting in a little extra elbow grease. Put up those ideas, and as a group we can decide if that's the route to go or not.
    8. There are a zillion ways to build an axle; we are looking for a vanilla way to handle 37's. Getting an LED spotlight put into the diff cover (skeeter) isn't really something everyone is looking for. (I tease skeeter because I'm jealous of his ability to bring daylight during an eclipse)
    [/COLOR]

So, to start with....Toughening up a Dana 30 was an option presented. Some here on MJR have done this and have no complaints of the set-up. But how did they do it? Where did they source the parts? And how much did it actually cost them? I put a few items down below for a D30 build, if something needs to be added, we'll do that. Like a truss for example...do we NEED one? (Also, I didn't put them in any particular order, I can re-arrange if it makes more sense.)

We need to start with a D30 housing. About how much do they run at your local pick-a-part? Or if someone here has one their selling...how much do they run? (personally I use a passenger drop, but driver diff is more common so we'll go with that.)

DANA 30:
    HOUSING:
    GEARS: 4.56 ??? (I would have thought 4.88's at least?)
    • Source: Yukon Axle & Gear
    • Cost: ~$200 with master install kit & sent out to get chryoed (Not sure where you got this price, I found them cheapest at PolyPerformance website for $298.81 + $75 to be chryoed, shipping not included)
    • Contact Information: Where on Pirate? is this a special deal or do you mean people selling them used on Pirate? (PolyPro- http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ets-p-400.html)

AXLES: RCV's (are these necessary?)
    • Source: I'm sorry, but if they're not a regular product on craigslist I'd rather not use them as a source. If you got them for this price...good on ya.
    • Cost: What do these normally cost?
    • Contact Information: uh....they don't answer the phone...

BRAKES: I assume we're sticking with the stock brakes? Is that adequate?
    • Source: Auto Zone
    • Cost: ~about $30 with lifetime warranty
    • Contact Information: Yellow pages

LOCKER: Detroit locker (part #?)
    • Source: Need a consistent source to list.
    • Cost:
    • Contact Information:

Last edited by USMC 0369; 05-29-12, 10:24 AM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

DANA 30:
    HOUSING: dana 30 high pinion out of 94 XJ.
    • Source: Picapart
    • Cost: $50 on 1/2 price day
    • Contact Information: look it up

GEARS: Yukon 4.56
    • Source: pirate vendor porc
    • Cost: ~$200 with master install kit & sent out to get chryoed
    • Contact Information: look on pirate

AXLES:RCV's
    • Source: Craigslist
    • Cost: $500
    • Contact Information: 1(800) best deal ever private party

BRAKES:
    • Source:autozone
    • Cost: ~$30 with lifetime waranty
    • Contact Information:

LOCKER: Detriot automatic locker
    • Source: Craiglist
    • Cost: $300
    • Contact Information: Private party

Probably not 100% what you wanted but just pointing out what you can do if you shop around. It should handle 37's just fine it but who knows. Not sure I want to find out but dont plan on going bigger than 35's for a while. High pinion are said to be 33% stronger than low pinions because the reverse cut gears are riding on the stronger thicker part of the ring gear. I paid a buddy $80 to truss the axle and the outer c's up and weld the housing to the tubes a bit more then the week spot welds. I put on a ~$80 ruff stuff front cover that has a 1/2 inch thick steel flange with counter sunk bolts that should of definatly stiffen the housing up. I put all new dana spicer balljoints sourced from ebay for about $120 and new brand new timken 2004 jeep unit bearings I got from private party on ebay for $125. I Paid Art to install the gears but I could of done it myself so not sure it counts. So ~$1500 for a basically new axle with pretty much all new good parts except the brakes but they seem to work pretty good. Could of saved alot of coin on: axles,unit bearings, balljoints, trussing it, cheaper weaker front cover but If I do somthing I try to do it right once or not do it at all. Not to mention found some pretty sweet deals on stuff especially the axles because they retail for about $950.

Comment

37's and beyond, you would really have to start thinking about what kind of wheelin you want to do and if there might be bigger tires and more horse power in the future. HP Dana 30 is cheap and works very well for 35" tires. Going bigger than that it gets iffy.
      Dana 44's are nice for the better gearing choices, but still use the same size axle u joints as a Dana 30. A Dana 44 HP with the 3" tubes with 35 spline axles and the bigger U joints of a Dana 60/70 would be a nice setup. Consider this though Dana 60 diffhousing hangs 1"l lower than the Dana 44 diff housing, it will accept 35 spline inners and outers, uses larger pinion and ring gear than a Dana 44. For our use it's a HP housing. If you have the skills to do some welding and know how to setup gears you can built one of those for not much more than a Dana 44 HP housing built to handle 37" tires and the Dana 60 will still be stronger. Either way you need to buy a housing, weld on brackets. Install gears and locker and buy inner and outer axle shafts, hubs etc.
      While you look at all that might as well start thinking what you want for a rear axle. Another viable option would be to buy 2
      Dana 44 JK axles they come with lockers and seem to hold up very well to 37" tires. The smart t6hing with those would still be to gear them and change axle shaft. However you add it up big tires come at a price

Comment

[COLOR="sienna"]FIRST I gotta say, I highly respect Art's opinion. Art's rig is sick and he's one of the knowledgable guys I ask stupid questions all the time.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        37's and beyond, you would really have to start thinking about what kind of wheelin you want to do and if there might be bigger tires and more horse power in the future. HP Dana 30 is cheap and works very well for 35" tires. Going bigger than that it gets iffy.
        [COLOR="sienna"]The reason we are starting with the D30, is that it was named as a possibility for 37's. Others run it and are happy with it. So that's why this axle is on here. However, the mentioned drawbacks will be noted. We are assuming here that we are doing trails such as the rubicon, some moab fun, MAYBE Jackhammer? We're not looking at OuterLimits or things like that. However you bring up a good point...why go to 37's if you're not going gonna hang with the big dogs? For this build, we're keeping the Jeeps drive train/power train standard. I know the T-Case isn't gonna hold up long, but we're only addressing front axle builds here. Sorry if the title is misleading...I'll try to change it.[/COLOR]

Dana 44's are nice for the better gearing choices, but still use the same size axle u joints as a Dana 30. A Dana 44 HP with the 3" tubes with 35 spline axles and the bigger U joints of a Dana 60/70 would be a nice setup.
        [COLOR="sienna"]Ok! We'll put that into the D44 build possibilities.[/COLOR]

Consider this though Dana 60 diffhousing hangs 1"l lower than the Dana 44 diff housing, it will accept 35 spline inners and outers, uses larger pinion and ring gear than a Dana 44. For our use it's a HP housing. If you have the skills to do some welding and know how to setup gears you can built one of those for not much more than a Dana 44 HP housing built to handle 37" tires and the Dana 60 will still be stronger. Either way you need to buy a housing, weld on brackets. Install gears and locker and buy inner and outer axle shafts, hubs etc.
        [COLOR="sienna"]I'm gonna be very interested in the virtual D60 build.[/COLOR]

While you look at all that might as well start thinking what you want for a rear axle. Another viable option would be to buy 2
        Dana 44 JK axles they come with lockers and seem to hold up very well to 37" tires. The smart thing with those would still be to gear them and change axle shaft. However you add it up big tires come at a price
        [COLOR="sienna"]Rear Axles are another story entirely. Ugh... with the advocates for 12bolts, 9inch, etc...we'll get to that in early 2013. [/COLOR]

Comment

Virtual this, virtual that... I think Nick is trying to get the Web Wheeler of the Year award! :hide:
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
            Virtual this, virtual that... I think Nick is trying to get the Web Wheeler of the Year award! :hide:
            He's got my vote.
            Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
              [COLOR="sienna"]Those who can't buy...dream.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              He's got my vote.
              [COLOR="sienna"]Thanks???[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                [COLOR="sienna"]Those who can't buy...dream.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="sienna"]Thanks???[/COLOR]
                Aren't we all just a friendly supportive bunch lol.

Truthfully I think for all practical purposes the cheapest and most reliable choice right now would be a modified JK Dana 44.
                Comes with a locker, has bigger gears and most importantly bigger U joints in the axle shaft. Which is one of the weak points of both a Dana 30 HP and any other version of Dana 44. It does need some work to make it dependable for some good old trail abuse.
                But done right it makes it a very good choice for 37" tires.

Comment

Working...
                X