Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Towing - Transmission Position

So when flat towing what is the correct position for the transmisison...Park or in Gear?

This is a 2004 TJ automatic, stock transfer case.

The reason I ask is I have noticed what appears to be fresh motor oil dripping out and splattering against the rear axle and surrounding area. The oil looks like it is coming out of the seam of the muffler. I do not see oil coming out of the transfer case or tranny.

Could flat towing or the tranny in the wrong position cause this?

Is the method described below correct?

The method I have been using is:

set break
    tranny to neutral
    transfer case to neutral
    start engine
    place in gear, confirm does not move, back to neutral
    shut off engine
    tranny to park
    hook up and go

Trans in park, transfercase in neutral and for a TJ you are good to go have towed my TJ for several thousand miles like this

Comment

How about a stick shift art?. Picked up a tow bar last week. Came with a plug in for the lights but didnt get the plug and wiring that was on the jeep it came off of.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
        How about a stick shift art?. Picked up a tow bar last week. Came with a plug in for the lights but didnt get the plug and wiring that was on the jeep it came off of.
        Same thing you want the output shaft of the transfercase to turn, since that drives the oilpump, but you d not want the output shft from the transmission to turn. Now YJ's are a different animal. For a TJ manual trans in gear, auto trans in park

Comment

FWIW, when I drug my Jeep (5 speed/Atlas II) up to Montana. I called Advance Adapters and they said, 5th gear/TC in neutral. Good for about 300 miles. They also said to be on the safe side, disconnect from the Moho and drive it for a few miles to lube the whole shebang. I played it even more safe and just disconnected the rear driveshaft, tied it up out of the way and made sure the front hubs were unlocked. Of course when we got to Montana it was raining harder than a cow peeing on a flat rock.

Steve

On a side note, as I hunt and peck on the keyboard, I'm watching a Tina Turner concert on TV.
          My oh my, I need to go to a live concert to see her and her dancers. Oh my. Did I say that already.
          Last edited by alittleoff; 03-11-12, 07:22 PM.
          All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
            FWIW, when I drug my Jeep (5 speed/Atlas II) up to Montana. I called Advance Adapters and they said, 5th gear/TC in neutral. Good for about 300 miles. They also said to be on the safe side, disconnect from the Moho and drive it for a few miles to lube the whole shebang. I played it even more safe and just disconnected the rear driveshaft, tied it up out of the way and made sure the front hubs were unlocked. Of course when we got to Montana it was raining harder than a cow peeing on a flat rock.

Steve

On a side note, as I hunt and peck on the keyboard, I'm watching a Tina Turner concert on TV.
            My oh my, I need to go to a live concert to see her and her dancers. Oh my. Did I say that already.
            Atlas is a whole different animal than a NP231 or NP241 transfer case. So in that case it's best to do what you did and I do not mean watching the cows pee on a flat rock in Montana, but disconnecting the driveshafts.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
              X