Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC shifter

wrt '92 YJ

I am kinda' tired of reaching for the transfer case shift lever. Especially now I have a 1" body lift, suspension seats and 5 point harnesses.

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf longer lever, or an extension thingy, or a clever fab plan?

TIA

Chris L.
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Ooooo never thought about that...heres what i would do go to a junkyard and buy another shifter, take that shifter and weld it onto the existing one...VIOLA! a double shifter, it may be a little goofy lookin with 2 levers tho...
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
      Ooooo never thought about that...heres what i would do go to a junkyard and buy another shifter, take that shifter and weld it onto the existing one...VIOLA! a double shifter, it may be a little goofy lookin with 2 levers tho...
      O.K., sorry about this but that's about the stupidest idea I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Please take this with a grain of salt as it is not meant as a personal slam.

Chris, If I were you(but I'm not) I'd go over to Erik or Chris' some weekend, cut the old shifter and weld (I mean have them weld) some crap on there to make it where I wanted it. Then I'd paint it black.

I think tera makes a relocation bracket that may help you out as well.

good luck.

Brian.
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

That's a long drive from AZ... Doesn't goodtimes have a welder?
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Tera, skyjacker and superlift all make brackets to adjust the T-case shifter after a body lift. They all go for $25-$40, and they are all bolt in- no welding required. Go with them and you have the first two requirements of any mod- cheap and easy!
          It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
          and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

Originally posted by rick
            That's a long drive from AZ... Doesn't goodtimes have a welder?
            Yes I do, and I live just a few miles south of Chris (OK, maybe more than "just a few".....I'm on the south end of town, IIRC Chris is on the north end).....but reguardless, if you want to look into doing something about it, let me know.
            olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
              O.K., sorry about this but that's about the stupidest idea I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Please take this with a grain of salt as it is not meant as a personal slam.
              heh i didnt think it was that bad. oh well...oh ya how far does the body lift pull the shifter down? like into the floor or pretty close to it?? i prob shouldnt post in the short wheelbase section anymore
              B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                i prob shouldnt post in the short wheelbase section anymore
                nah, your fine. I've posted my share of what some thought were stupid ideas in the past.

as long as you can take a little good natured ribbing, it's all good.:yay:

it's when you get all bent out of shape about stuff that you run the risk of being baned by Nailer.
                myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
                  nah, your fine. I've posted my share of what some thought were stupid ideas in the past.

as long as you can take a little good natured ribbing, it's all good.:yay:

it's when you get all bent out of shape about stuff that you run the risk of being baned by Nailer.

I can take a little ribbing...Let me just say this(a little off the topic of this post but still important nonetheless) this forum is waaaaaaaayyy better for us noobies. places like ________ and ________(you fill em in with whatever) are horrible for people trying to learn something, some people just think they know it all.

ok back on topic...wouldnt some sort of small bracket work? and if you cant weld im sure there is something that can be bolted on. I would think if you saw some pictures of the tcase bracket king4wd mentioned you could prob make one...ill find a picture and decide if its possible.
                  B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                    wrt '92 YJ

I am kinda' tired of reaching for the transfer case shift lever. Especially now I have a 1" body lift, suspension seats and 5 point harnesses.
                    Having spent more time in 5-point harnesses than I found enjoyable, just what do you do while wheeling where you feel the need for them? :confused: I added a 2-point aircraft seatbelt for those times when the factory belt is locked up due to the angle the Jeep is at but would never want a 5-point... they're just too confining for me, so much so that I can't lean to the side to see the line.
                    Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 06-13-04, 06:43 PM.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                      Having spent more time in 5-point harnesses than I found enjoyable, just what do you do while wheeling where you feel the need for them? :confused: I added a 2-point aircraft seatbelt for those times when the factory belt is locked up due to the angle the Jeep is at but would never want a 5-point... they're just too confining for me, so much so that I can't lean to the side to see the line.

Did I miss something here?

I thought we were talking about shifters?? :confused:
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

i dont think you missed anything jerry has just gone mad...:confused: maybe he posted in the wrong place? or maybe hes saying its extra hard to grab the shifter with his 5 point on??
                        B R E T T

Comment

Whoops, I forgot to include a quote that mentioned Aston's use of a 5-point, I added it to my above posting. Sorry for the anti-5-point seatbelt rant heheh.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
                            Whoops, I forgot to include a quote that mentioned Aston's use of a 5-point, I added it to my above posting. Sorry for the anti-5-point seatbelt rant heheh.

ok now it makes a little more sense
                            B R E T T

Comment

The elegant solution of course would be:

1) Salvage rusty old piece of rebar from parking lot curbstop

2) Cut off 12" length while carefully avoiding tetanus inoculation.

3) Put 45 degree bend 3" from end. This will be the part that attaches to the upright from the TC shifter.

4) Hose clamp that sucker onto the TC shifter upright.

5) Enjoy masterpiece of craftsmanship until hose clamps break.

6) Apply twice as many hose clamps and this time put in some booger welds to form the metallic version of paper mach'e.

7) Wrap free end in duct tape so that you won't gouge that festering wound in your palm anymore. A nice 3" ball of duct tape at the end of the rebar says "CLASSY!"
                              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
                              X