Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hit oilpan pretty good, anything I should be checking?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The savvy skid wont limit you on suspension mods any more than the ucf skid. Both are good skids but the weight difference and the stand alone steel cross members are what sold me. I can pull bottom and side wings off and trans stays put on the crossmember. UCF makes a aluminum skid also but I have read somewhere problems with bending on a hard hits because there is no steel reinforcment.The savvy 6061 aluminum is pretty tough, hit my savvy tank skid on rock and it barely scratched it. I paid considerably less than you can get a ucf ultra high clearance TC and engine skid and accessories(like lowpro mount, body lift, engine lift) shiped for.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I think Savvy is the best product by far that you can buy, if it's whats suits your needs. But he said he did not want to change his suspension. So if he is going to stay with short arms, then maybe weight is not a big concern. I think he has some other options. I was looking at the steel UCF skid at half the price.
      Last edited by curtis; 01-30-12, 09:16 PM.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Yes, that's what attracts me about the steel skids, the price! But I do like Blaine's handy work, and aluminum is cool We'll see how nice uncle sam is to me, if he's real nice I'll go aluminum

The only thing about the UCF skid that seems like it would be annoying is the hole for the engine oil drain plug. I wonder how messy does changing the oil get with only this little hole? The savvy skid has a much larger plate that can be easilly removed with alot more access to the bolt. Curtis, do you have any thoughts on this, and oil changes?
        Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-30-12, 11:40 PM.
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I dont know if I hit my oil pan pretty hard of if the guy i got it from hit it, but I replaced the oil pan & added a Warn skid. No chances here when it comes to oil & pans ! Thats my 2 cents worth ...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...12491054_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...56060273_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
            Yes, that's what attracts me about the steel skids, the price! But I do like Blaine's handy work, and aluminum is cool We'll see how nice uncle sam is to me, if he's real nice I'll go aluminum

The only thing about the UCF skid that seems like it would be annoying is the hole for the engine oil drain plug. I wonder how messy does changing the oil get with only this little hole? The savvy skid has a much larger plate that can be easilly removed with alot more access to the bolt. Curtis, do you have any thoughts on this, and oil changes?
            I make sort of a funnel out of an old oil bottle stick it in the hole in the skid and drain the oil in the catch pan that way works pretty good and doesn't make a mess

Comment

Do like Art said and if you don't like it make it bigger.
              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                Don't get me wrong, I think Savvy is the best product by far that you can buy, if it's whats suits your needs. But he said he did not want to change his suspension. So if he is going to stay with short arms, then maybe weight is not a big concern. I think he has some other options. I was looking at the steel UCF skid at half the price.
                The thing is once you add the lowpro mount, body lift, engine lift, engine skid and shipping which all are an absolute must, your in the same ballpark as a savvy underarmor that is lighter and has more clearance because of a smaller footprint. Pretty sure also a steel reinforced cross membered 1/4" aluminum skid is stronger than a 3/16" non reinforced skid but I could be wrong. I definatly did my home work and research and after long thought figured the savvy skid was the one for me. Trust me I looked at them all.

Comment

I already have body lift and motormount lift installed.
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Savvy requires a 1.25" body lift and it can only use the savvy mml beacause it what the front crossmember bolts too. I just sold my currie 1" body lift.

Comment

Daniel check out Beau's skid he has for sale in (parts for sale). That might be another way to go.

Comment

Wont fit an 06 rubi. 1997 to 2003 are different from 2004-2006. I guess you could redrill the pan though.I think thats what art did on his yellow Jeep. The price I am selling it and the extras for dont understand why it isn't gone allready lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                          Wont fit an 06 rubi. 1997 to 2003 are different from 2004-2006. I guess you could redrill the pan though.I think thats what art did on his yellow Jeep. The price I am selling it and the extras for dont understand why it isn't gone allready lol.
                          You have to redrill a few holes on the belly skid and extend the right rear corner if you want to us all 6 mounting bolts.
                          I did this on an old Terra flatbelly pan that I bought for cheap

Comment

Daniel, here is what i have on my XJ, not sure if you looked at it after our run. Its solid as hell and priced well for the quality. Install is also very easy. Would fit your jeep.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12022_904_07.htm
                            www.RuggedJeep.com
                            http://www.facebook.com/SaveTheHammers

Comment

here is mine all buckled and after with the skid.

www.RuggedJeep.com
                              http://www.facebook.com/SaveTheHammers

Comment

I finally got the UCF skid plate in place of the factory transfer case skid, I like the extra clearance!! 18 inches at the lowest point on the skid. I'll get the engine skid bolted up later this week probably. It should be quick and easy i think. Just need to adjust the Novak so that it will get into 4lo, and need to adjust the rear control arms to fix the rear pinion angle now, it got alot steeper! haha

Comment

Working...
                                X