Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
    Well they are not the most quiet, mine howls like a banshee in low range and isn't exactly quiet in high range either.
    In part this is due to the fact that part of the planetary gears are a straight cut and not spiral cut so they will always make some gear noise.
    I understand that, but man Im telling you its screaming. It was not like that. I rememeber 4low, and yes it yelled, but never in 2hi. Sounds like a train is passing you by. lol

Comment

Well as long as they warranty it run it it till it dies, or quiets down

Comment

Did you put oil in it or made sure it was full. Dum question but it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Well they are not the most quiet, mine howls like a banshee in low range and isn't exactly quiet in high range either.
          In part this is due to the fact that part of the planetary gears are a straight cut and not spiral cut so they will always make some gear noise.
          I agree. I installed mine 2 months ago, have 2 trips on it and I still dont think its "broken" in. Its definitely loud in LO and has a whine in HI. Im very happy with it so far. I couldnt find a rubi case for less then a tera low, everyone wanted $1100+ so I chose to go with the tera setup. So far so good. If it goes bad on me, Atlas it is, no questions asked.
          www.RuggedJeep.com
          http://www.facebook.com/SaveTheHammers

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            Did you put oil in it or made sure it was full. Dum question but it does happen.
            Yup, it's got oil and it's full. Thanks. All I can say is the previous setup whined in 4 low but never in 4 hi. I mean its load enough to get people's attention standing on the street it's that load. Pain in my ass. Lol.

Comment

What fluid are you using? 231 stock spec is ATF, but after seeing a few builders use 5w30 I figured I'd try it and it's a bit quieter - but I'm stock. One thing to consider is that ATF is more of a hydraulic fluid than a lubricant. The viscosity of 5w30 is fine to run through the pump, and it's a lubricant. Might throw your warranty out the window though.
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Been driving a lot this week. Went to San Diego just to get some miles in her. Rolled up to Gorman to engage the gearing. Checked the oil and it looks contaminated with metallic fragments. Thats probably not a good sign, right? Well, I know its not. Oh well. The guys at Teralow are super cool, so I'm sure something will be figured out. Thanks for all your support. All the information provided by you guys has helped me tremendously.

Comment

Working...
                X