Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
    Thanks for reminding me of my torment. lol.

Comment

Self inflicted pain hurts the most lol

Comment

So I got a call from teraflex today. The problem was identified. Loose/damaged bearings within the planetary assembly and some other issues with the gear teeth. All fixed and being sent back. My question is: Should I replace the the transmission seal since its visible and accessible? When I mate the the np231 to the tranny, I will use a new gasket. Question here is: should I use atv to complement the factory gasket as an extra layer of protection? Which sealant should I use?

Any advice putting this back together properly? Any advice as to how to replace the rear tranny seal? Any feedback will help me get prepared. Thanks.

Comment

oh ya

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Self inflicted pain hurts the most lol

Thats for sure man. Thats for sure. Im getting it back from teraflex. The issue seems to be a recurring theme. Sounds like mine had what yours was sent in for. I need some advice. Please read above below.

Comment

Do you have an automatic trans? If the rear seal of your trans doesn't leak then there is no need to change the seal also there is no gasket between trans and transfercase

Comment

Hi

Mine had one. It looks kinda metallic, but there sure was a gasket!! Manual. When I pulled the two apart , oil did leak out. Is that normal?

Comment

Id personally sell the rebuilt teralow 231j for about 1k or more and get a rubi transfercase for about $800 and never worry about it breaking again oh yea keep the $200+ change. Art might back me up on this one.

Comment

Yea I would go with the rubi transfercase also. But I don't know if you can find one for $800.00 any more. The rubi case has become a hot ticket item .
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Brothers 4x4 gets them all the time. Paid $700 for mine. about 2years ago absolutly best mod Ive done to date love the 4:1.

Comment

Originally posted by nikos View Post
                      Mine had one. It looks kinda metallic, but there sure was a gasket!! Manual. When I pulled the two apart , oil did leak out. Is that normal?
                      Nope unless it has an automatic trans some of those used a sleeve to seal the trans if not the rear seal of the transmission is done or the input seal for the terra lo was leaking

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                        Brothers 4x4 gets them all the time. Paid $700 for mine. about 2years ago absolutly best mod Ive done to date love the 4:1.
                        That was 2 years ago. Call them today and get a quote.
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                          That was 2 years ago. Call them today and get a quote.
                          Go Atlas 5:1 and never look back. No more worries about chain stretch or any other foolishness. It's one of the reasons I love wheelin my big Jeep as much as I do

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            Nope unless it has an automatic trans some of those used a sleeve to seal the trans if not the rear seal of the transmission is done or the input seal for the terra lo was leaking
                            All I can say is that mine had it and it is a manual. It perhaps is present to allow for a cushion between the two metal surfaces. Ya, it definitely is not there to seal. I will change the tranny seal for sure. Thanks.

Comment

So here begins my saga. Or shall I say it ends. lol. I put it all together after getting the teralow back only to go drive it around and experience a dreaded whine/howling sound. So it short, it left in better shape that what it came back. Maybe it has to be broken in, but when I first had it installed it would whine in 2low but never in 2Hi. Im not upset, just frustrated and exhausted. They told me to drive it around and if it does not get better, they would replace it. There techs said that when they installed the new planetary it felt tight, and so thats why it be making the noises it is making. Perhaps it needs break-in. What do you ladies or gentlemen think?

I have to say that the people over there are super friendly and are helpful. Teraflex has been cool, but the issue is not the people but the rebuilt teralow that sounds like someone is being murdered. lol.

Comment

Well they are not the most quiet, mine howls like a banshee in low range and isn't exactly quiet in high range either.
                                In part this is due to the fact that part of the planetary gears are a straight cut and not spiral cut so they will always make some gear noise.

Comment

Working...
                                X