Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Often feels like she,s gonna stall!!

Not always but often lately the jeep feels like its gonna stall when I slow down to come to a stop and sometimes it does stall ,feels like its idle is really low.,The jeep feels strong othe than that if I,m at a light in neutrel and give her gas it seems strong-(normal) could it be something simple as the plugs? Thanks in advance..Geeb
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

idle air motor

Comment

Thanks Art, but not sure what ya mean? Gotta remember its Geeb here...LOL..

Comment

Idle air motor is a computer controlled valve on the throttle body that allows filtered air into the intake to keep the engine at a certain idle rpm. It also kicks in on cold start to help the engine warm up and when the ac is turned on. Easy test is to turn the ac on and see if the rpm goes up if not most likely it needs replacing.

Comment

Beau,, That I can do Thanks ....

Comment

Make sure I have it right when I turn on the air the rpm,s should go up? and if it doesn,t than that means its the idle air motor?

Comment

Geeb, I think I'm having sorta the same issue but opposite! When I start my YJ it fires up and idles fine but after it warms up (usually 5 or so minutes) The idle kicks up to about 1500 or a bit higher and stays there! I wonder if my idle air motor is stuck or bad? I don't have A/C so I can't check it that way.....

Any suggestions guys???

Scott
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Scott my bro, I haven,t got a clue, but someone will chime in. dang I got suggestions 5 minutes after I posted..Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
                  Make sure I have it right when I turn on the air the rpm,s should go up? and if it doesn,t than that means its the idle air motor?
                  Yes, it should go up a couple hundred rpm with engine warmed up and ac on. Somtimes the idle air motor can be cleaned and it will start working again. Another test is to put on the ebrake put it in higher gear(if stick) and let out the clutch just so its about to stall and quickly put it back in. The rpm should rise up above idle for abit and then settle back down. The idle air motor constantly adjust throughout your driving and when the throttle is closed it try to always maintain idle and high idle when warming up or with the ac on.

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                    Geeb, I think I'm having sorta the same issue but opposite! When I start my YJ it fires up and idles fine but after it warms up (usually 5 or so minutes) The idle kicks up to about 1500 or a bit higher and stays there! I wonder if my idle air motor is stuck or bad? I don't have A/C so I can't check it that way.....

Any suggestions guys???

Scott
                    After warm up it should settle back to a lower rpm. Sounds like its stuck or maybe the coolant sensor isnt telling the ecm the engine is warmed up. Is it throwing a cel or running rich by any chance. any vacuum leaks?

Comment

I'd get a can of intake cleaner and clean the IAC and see if that makes a difference.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...mmies-1114849/

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                        After warm up it should settle back to a lower rpm. Sounds like its stuck or maybe the coolant sensor isnt telling the ecm the engine is warmed up. Is it throwing a cel or running rich by any chance. any vacuum leaks?
                        Checked all of the vacuum lines and they all look great... Not sure about the coolant sensor. It's not running rich, far as I can tell and not throwing any codes either. Will try and clean the IAC and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips guys!

Scott
                        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I have neon injectors (24lb) in mine now. So, she runs rich. No issues at all. My guess is TPS. If no CEL, might be vacuum lines then. Spray some wd40 around the lines. Change the idle? If so, that's it.

Comment

Ditto on the Thank You,s ,I,m slow gettin to it but I,ll go ahead and clean her up sometime on Saturday..Sunday is "NUTTIN"
                            Football........I,ll let ya,s know how it comes out!

Comment

Check the blade on the throttle body.there should be a couple of holes in it so that it can idle. Sometimes gunk will build up on the blade and plug the holes, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X