Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting out an XJ

i have a 85 xj 5spd with a 4cyl. Would it be worth it to part it out? I spent 500 bucks to buy it and have put maybe 200 more in. Im thinking about getting another jeep and dont know what to do with mine. Anyone ever parted one out. Is this even a good idea? i really have no clue if i should or should not.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

I'd be interested in the front driveshaft if it is double cardan.

I think Brian was looking for a high pinion Dana 30 axle complete. Does yours have a vacc disconnect?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

how can i tell if it is double cardan? and also are the older dana 30's hp? how can you tell and yes it is vacuum disconnect. I am thinking about taking the 4.10 gears out and swapping them with whatever came in the 4.0 liter 5spd.
      B R E T T

Comment

I parted an 87 out a while ago, and the only way I made money on it was becuase it had a D44 in the rear and a HP non-disco 30 in the front.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

yes, i may be interested in the HP30 if it's the right one.
          myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

A double cardan driveshaft will have a double cardan joint which looks like two U-joints in series. This might be worth $100.

High pinion has the driveshaft go into the upper half of the differential and looks like this from the side
            (>''''

If it comes from the bottom half, it is not
            (>,,,,

I think Jeep went to the lower pinion in 1990?

The non-disco axles were in full-time 4wd vehicles if I remember correctly. There is a fix now that replaces the vacuum with a cable switch from the cabin, that allows unlocking of the front to enable 2WD-Lo. So a HP D30 with vacc disco's might still be desirable, not sure on money though.
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

the drive shaft has only has one set of u joints and is solid untill it gets to the T-case where it attaches with some funky lookin thing. has rubber inside a cylinder so the front shaft can be pulled in and out a little as the axle moves. If that makes no sense at all i understand...

i think the driveshaft attaches towards the top of the axle. Unfortunately i dont have my jeep at my house so i cant check it out.
              B R E T T

Comment

I think the double-cardan driveshafts were only found in the full-time 4wd XJ's.

My gut feeling about Jeeps is that you should keep 'em all and enjoy 'em as best as you can. I don't know what your other Jeep is, but the XJ can be a very respectable off-road rig even with a minimum of work. You can haul stuff in it that would never fit in a Wrangler, sleep in the back, tow with it (less likely with the 4 banger).

Put in a small lift, stuff in some budget 31's, weld together some 3/8 armor plates, and wheel it til it falls apart or use it as a loaner for your friends who want to go with you. Never wheel alone, verdad?

Parting out means slowly turning your driveway into a wrecking yard and developing a too-friendly relationship with the Big Brown Truck man.

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning

I think Jeep went to the lower pinion in 1990?
                  In XJ's they used the High Pinion up until the late 90's, I believe. in the early 90's they did away with the disco axle.
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I think the double-cardan driveshafts were only found in the full-time 4wd XJ's.
                    Not true. My 88 Part-time had a Double-Cardan shaft. I think all XJ's have them. YJ's dont, TJ's do.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

well i would keep it. But i was told the valves are not sealing and the electrical is messed up and it would cost a ton to fix. Plus smog will probably screw me over, big time.

I don't know what your other Jeep is, but the XJ can be a very respectable off-road rig even with a minimum of work.
                      I was lookin at a 87 cherokee with a 4.0L. So as of now i have one jeep. I would love to get mine working, ive put so much time into it.
                      Last edited by JeepJunkie; 04-22-04, 04:00 PM.
                      B R E T T

Comment

Chris, you are right, HP D30's went bye-bye in 2000 mebbe 1999. More proof that you are the XJ GooRoo

Comment

hey brian, how much would you expect to pay for a hp D30? it has 4.10s but i think im gonna take those out and put in 3.37 or whatever comes in the 4.0L manual. Thanks
                          B R E T T

Comment

truthfully, "right now" I can't even think about spending any money on the jeep. get back to me in a week or two when the sticker shock of the new mods and tires wears off.
                            myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Working...
                            X