Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help Art. I understood but I had already ordered the rebuild kit and I really wanted to see what was inside that thing. I haven't put a cooler on yet because I haven't been to the junk yard. I'll have to go tomorrow. I think I will bring my pulley puller and keep an eye out for a smaller pulley that will fit on my pump. Would nice to have a little more steering power at idle. Don't think it will do any harm to my pump as long as I have a cooler.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

You can find lots a PS coolers cheap on ebay. I run Valvoline ATF+4 in my PS and it does not whine? One time it started getting louder on the trail and we found the steering box was too hot to touch. I replace the fluid with some fresh ATF+4 when I got home and it has been quite ever since, I think once you cook the fluid it needs replacing. A PS cooler on mine should keep the temps lower when wheeling in the summer and front locked. Mounting to the V-support will prevent damage to the radiator caused by constant bouncing on the trails. Pictures is a Flex-a-lite transmission cooler but you can do a similar mounting for the PS cooler.
      Parts
      Flex-a-Lite TransLife Part #4120-20,000 GVW
      4 10X24 X 1" Allen head bolts and locknuts (LOWES)
      4 10X24 X 1 1\4" Allen head bolts and locknuts (LOWES)
      3/8 Hose (included with cooler)
      2 Hose couplers 3\8 Brass or steel (LOWES)
      4 Adel Clamps #6 (Rubber Lined) (LOWES)
      6 Hose Clamps (4 included with cooler)
      2 Steel Pieces Cold Rolled 1\8 X 3\4 X 3 ft. (LOWES)

Last edited by guardian7; 05-30-10, 09:37 PM.
      [COLOR="Teal"]2006 TJ, 4"Full Traction Ultimate, SYE, CV, 35" MTR's on Champion Beadlocks, WARN 9.5Ti [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        I haven't put a cooler on yet because I haven't been to the junk yard.
        I'm going to recomend that you buy a new cooler. You don't know the history of a junkyard cooler and you dont want to contaminate your new parts with contaminants in a old cooler.
        A-zone has a 5x12.75 cooler for $30bux.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...ndName=Torqflo

Comment

I put a cooler in last weekend. I wasn't worried about contamination from junkyard parts because there is not a single moving part in a cooler. The worst problem I could run into would be a leak. I don't like how those autozone coolers mount. They will eventually rub a hole in the radiator from vibration. I pulled a tranny cooler off an XJ that had a good bracket on it. I mounted the bracket to the inside of my grill not touching the radiator. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Here it is. I haven’t wheeled with this yet. I’ve only driven around on the street. 2blk2drs runs a similar cooler to the one guardian posted. It’s a little bigger and has that same kind of triangle bracket. My cooler is about 2 1/2 inches tall and 18 inches long.

Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
              I put a cooler in last weekend. I wasn't worried about contamination from junkyard parts because there is not a single moving part in a cooler. The worst problem I could run into would be a leak. I don't like how those autozone coolers mount. They will eventually rub a hole in the radiator from vibration. I pulled a tranny cooler off an XJ that had a good bracket on it. I mounted the bracket to the inside of my grill not touching the radiator. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
              I've seen bunches of contaminated coolers at my shop.

What happens is that the PS pump or auto trans blew up and contaminated the cooler with scrap metal. Then you go and buy the contaminated cooler and put it on your Jeep and it contaminates your PS system with the scrap metal thats already in it.

Good job with the mount. I get radiators in my shop every week that have 4 holes rubbed in them from a cooler mounted to the radiator with those zip tie things.

Comment

Working...
              X