Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Power steering pump rebuild.

My power steering pump was making a lot of noise last weekend. Also it was taking twice the effort to turn the wheel then it should. It would do fine in 2wd but really suffered in 4wd. The front Aussie isn't helping I'm sure. I ordered a pump rebuild kit from PSkits.com. I really like to be able to do this stuff myself but I have never done a PS pump before. Any one else done this? Seems like the way to go. Its only a few seals and its about $50 cheaper than buying the rebuilt pump from Napa. Insight would be appreciated but like I said, I ordered the kit already. So success or failure ill post my results.
    How hard could it be?

Also I will be putting a cooler in so I don't have to do this again next summer.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Well the seals will keep the oil in but if the pump is cavitating it will not do anything for it. Cavitating means the oil slips by the pump vanes and that creates a lot of hear and foams the powersteering fluid. When that happens it's time for another pump or new guts for the pump

Comment

I found a PDF on line on how to do this. Can't seem to locate it now. I downloaded it and can send it to you if you would like. I just swapped out my reservoir can which was very easy.
      Check out .

Comment

Chuck if you find that PDF I would like to see it. I have never seen any foam in my PS but it does get hot. The fluid is dark and mukry so maybe the fluid is just cooked. I hope the pump is still good enough to rebuild. I guess for $15 it is worth a try.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

PM me your email and I will send it to you tonight when I get home. I have it on my laptop. Here is some additional info that may help. Scroll down to P-Pump Bench Repair. There are 4 links.
          http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4
          Check out .

Comment

Scott,
            Not sure if a TJ pump will fit one of those other "J"s but I have my stock pump that is in perfect condition. If the rebuild doesn't work let me know.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

Also I will be putting a cooler in so I don't have to do this again next summer.
              Have you actully checked to see what temp the pump and box are running? I was considering a cooler untill I used my infared thermometer to measure the temps.

Mine has never hit 150F.

Comment

When you start playing on enough trails with some rocks here and there the powersteering fluid heats up quick. For mostly street and dirtroad driving there really is no great need for a cooler

Comment

I just run sythectic in my pump. I am pretty sure it can handle way more heat than regular powersteerng fuid. Its just a autozone rebuild and its doing pretty good so far.

Comment

Maybe I don't NEED a cooler. But its cheep insurance. They are $15 at the junk yard.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      Maybe I don't NEED a cooler. But its cheep insurance. They are $15 at the junk yard.
                      I think you NEED one Scott, your PS pump was whining louder than you were

Now to find a Brice cooler, hmm is that like a wine cooler?
                      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                        I think you NEED one Scott, your PS pump was whining louder than you were

Now to find a Brice cooler, hmm is that like a wine cooler?
                        Brice IS a cooler... :hide:
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Speaking of whining pumps. I decided to change my fluid last year. I called the stealer to order some PS fluid and they said that ATF+4 is the replacement so I got that and put that in it.

Thing whined like a Ford PS pump for 6 weeks! Yes it was full. I swapped the ATF+4 for some Valvoline PS fluid and it's quiet now.

Never would have guessed that ATF would make it whine. PS systems used ATF for years w/o issues.

Comment

Ok I gave up. I messed around with it for about an hour and decided it wasn't worth the brain damage. Picked up a pump from Kragen today for $50 and it’s done. So I have a rebuild kit if anyone has a need. One thing I learned in my research though. You can buy a seal kit like I bought and you can by a vane kit. And usually if you are losing power and its making noise it is the vane that has gone bad. Which is exactly what happened with me. So my seal kit may not have fixed the problem anyway. When it comes time to replace the vane it is much easier to just buy the rebuild pump. Because the vane is $50 by itself. I really like to be able to rebuild rather than replace, if nothing else to just learn how it’s done. I did learn a few things about power steering pumps I didn’t know before so it’s not a complete loss.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Was pretty much the point I was trying to make to begin with, the oil bypasses the vanes which makes it very hot and causes it to foam and make noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X