Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[COLOR="Blue"]I've heard that noise you're talking about on your Jeep. Mine was making it awhile back, but I haven't noticed it lately. Since I've heard so many TJ's with the same noise I kinda thought it might be a TJ characteristic.

It seems to happen under hard articulation and under power. Try tightening all the skid plates and get a breaker bar and tighten all of the body mounts - that silenced a lot of noise on mine.

The trans mount can be checked by putting a floor jack under the trans, lift and see if the mount seperates.

Check the "U" joints with a flashlight and see if it looks like any movement has been happening - on the axle and drive shaft.

This propably isn't it, but where the exhaust pipe bolts to the header always comes loose. I have to tighten mine regularly.

Tighten all of the control arm bolts "really" tight. On my Cherokee on one of the bolts that went through the rear leaf spring was loose enough that only under articulation it would move and make a loud snap - it took me awhile to figure that one out.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by mkjeepers; 04-20-10, 09:41 PM.

Comment

noise

bearing in the double cardan on rear driveshaft .mine gave me fits for awhile till i found it .good luck curtis .

Comment

Well I have checked every thing you guys have suggested. I have taking every thing apart and retorgued everything. I think the problem is my johnny joints. My top ones on the rear axle are bad and my top one on the front axle is bad(need new bushings). I lube my jeep alot almost every other trip. I started using lucas heavy duty grease awhile back and that might be the problem. Maybe it is to thick for the JJ's. So I hope I'm on the right track.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Mine are dry and making noise, need to put some grease fittings back on. I really don't think they need a lot of greasing. Besides the inserts are pretty cheap

Comment

Well I found the noise today finally. I had bent my bellyUp just enought so it would rub on the transfer case mount on the metal part that bolts to the case. It would only rub when flexing. I toll my wife I was going to sell it today if I couldn't find it. So I got a hose and held it to my ear while she drove it up and down the drive way at an angle.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

right on man.

Comment

Glad you found it.
                "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Working...
                X