Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise

I have developed a noise under my jeep like a creaking or a metal poping noise. I have checked track bars, control arms, springs, u-joints, ball joints, sway bars, and sprayed oil on everything to no good in fixing it. It makes the noise when flexing and turning. It sounds like it is in the middle of the jeep. Do you think it could be the transmission mount?
    Last edited by curtis; 04-19-10, 04:49 AM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

If it was t-case mount, i would expect you to have some driveline vibes at speed as well.

I found an odd noise under mine after last trip out, muffler and catalytic converter mounts cracked. Makes a hollow metalic noise when sidehilling or going over washboard roads.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

T-case mount? Last I recall, it hangs from the tranny that is mounted to the skidplate. Don't know if the TJ has the torque link. These can creak if the bushings get tired. Also check the skidplate bolts. Is there any noticeable bump or jolt when it pops? Look for rust dust around all bolt heads. Also look at the steering box mount and the front track bar frame mount. These like to tear with a lot of hard use. Good luck.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

My mount was bad and the stick shift would vibrate back and forth when in 4low going up steep incilines. It also would cause the exuast to make alot of vibration noise because the hanger is attached to the mount. Changed it out and works good now. You sure you dont have a ujoint going out on the double cardan joint?

Comment

Curtis, finding a noise in a Jeep is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I would start by removing one driveshaft, then drive it, then remove the other one to rule that out. If you suspect the transmount take the four nuts of that hold it to the skid plate and jack the trans up so you can see and feel if it is separated.
          My bet would be a cracked control arm or trackbar mount or a bushing that has gone south, so happy hunting
          Last edited by aw12345; 04-19-10, 04:20 PM.

Comment

My thought is that it might be a control arm binding up on the bolt through the mount or the control arm might be rubbing on the mount itself. I had a similar noise from the track bar in the front. The pin/bolt off of the mount on frame rail was slightly loose. Might want to double check that.
            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Curtis,

I take you on a couple medium trails and now your Jeep is making noises? LMAO. When my old YJ gets quiet and quits groaning and squeeking, thats when I get nervous. Maybe you should give that thing to me and get another one. Good luck my friend, hope you find it.

Mitch

Comment

Another thought is the upper rear control arm bushings. You have rubicon express SA just like me. We both know those go out from time to time.

Comment

Mine got replaced a few years ago with currie arms. I don't have any rubber bushing left in my control arms, they have all been relaced with joints. I will check the rear track bar bushing. Thanks guys.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Curtis, I have the same issue with my 04. I recently found it to be my rear trac bar bushings only after getting under the Jeep & pushing the Jeep from side to side. Good luck.
                    Build it right the first time.

Comment

Have you lubed the currie joints lately? They will make noise when they get to dry. Would be a simple fix right
                      Last edited by aw12345; 04-19-10, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Curtis,
                        now that you mentioned curie joints, check to see if the joints havent rotated just enough to catch the edge on the mounts. I have a Rock Krawler long arm on my XJ and one of the joints turned and was rubbing and making the same noise you described
                        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

When I first got my jeep I heard popping noise when turning that sounded like it was mid area of the jeep, come to find out it was the spider gears in the rear end. Good luck with that, I hate foreign sounds in the jeep...

Comment

Art I lube every thing at least once a month. and made sure arms weren't turned, or hitting. Will check track bar bushing.
                            Last edited by curtis; 04-20-10, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                              Mine got replaced a few years ago with currie arms. I don't have any rubber bushing left in my control arms, they have all been relaced with joints. I will check the rear track bar bushing. Thanks guys.
                              Make sure your not tearing the rear uca mounts off the frame now. Those rubber bushings go through alot of stress for them to fail like they do.Since you have upgraded maybe the stress is going to the next weak link which most likely would be those mounts which I have heard of them ripping of the frame. IDK just an idea. Those bushings failing on my heep have me watching that area very closely.

Comment

Working...
                              X