Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding with Batteries on the Trail

This Saturday my factory trac bar mount ripped off the frame of my Jeep.

Fred (flatout) had some arc welding electrodes so he let us have a few and he helped us in joining two batteries to weld the mount back on.

The electrodes were giving us some trouble because 1) we did not have enough voltage and two, we couldnt get the electrode to create a good contact (spark). We also did not have a welding hat which makes welding practically impossible.

When I returned home I started my reserach. Onboard welders are way to expensive.

So I came across this site and I plan to practice this welding method at home in my parking complex until I have a good feel on it.

I share with you this website.

Thanks Fred for letting us use your electrodes and next time hopefully I can return the helping hand to anyone that is in need of a weld on the trail.

http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_se...y_welding.html

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

pretty neat..
    [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
    PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

You can improve on this whole shebang by carrying 3 motorcycle batteries in a case. Then all you have to do is switch the cables from a parallel hook up to a series hookup and weld away. Same goes for the ready welder.
      Also riggin up a old Ford large amperage alternator makes a pretty good welder

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        You can improve on this whole shebang by carrying 3 motorcycle batteries in a case. Then all you have to do is switch the cables from a parallel hook up to a series hookup and weld away. Same goes for the ready welder.
        Also riggin up a old Ford large amperage alternator makes a pretty good welder
        I read about the ford alternator. I didn;t know motorcycle batteries can do the job too. interesting. I'll have to look into that since motorcycle batteries are half the size of car batteries

Comment

Shant the voltage is more important than the amperage depending on the fact that you are not going to weld all day. Most patch jobs are fairly quick and as long as you have an engine running the batteries can be charged back up.
          One thing you have figured out is to practice welding with your setup before you need it. Since arc welding takes more skill than playing with a MIG glue gun
          Last edited by aw12345; 04-13-10, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Is it much more difficult than arc welding with a proper machine?
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I think if you had 3 batts it would of been a little easier to weld also. You sure that mount wasn't allready cracked and just finally let go on this trip. Usually they get a hairline crack and break on a later trip. Its a good idea to crawl under the jeep before you go on any offroad expedition. I hate to see if that thing broke on a narrow road with steep drop offs, Talk about scary!.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                I think if you had 3 batts it would of been a little easier to weld also. You sure that mount wasn't allready cracked and just finally let go on this trip. Usually they get a hairline crack and break on a later trip. Its a good idea to crawl under the jeep before you go on any offroad expedition. I hate to see if that thing broke on a narrow road with steep drop offs, Talk about scary!.
                I'm under the Jeep everyweek checking nuts and bolts but never did it cross my mind to check on factory welds. I'm going to go check on all the welds right now.

Comment

Check for rust dust and paint crack around weld on all the suspension mounts.

Comment

Shant get some gas goggles and put dark lenses in them. I carry 6010 rod.
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I have the Ready Welder 10000ADP. I paid just over $400 with free shipping when I bought it. A little cheaper then the on board stick machines. Only needs 2 batteries.

http://www.readywelder.com/10000adp.php
                      Check out .

Comment

Here's another tip: Pepboys has 1/16th 7018 rod in 1/2 pound tubes for around $6US. I welded three 2 inch downhill welds on the lower UCA mount on my Jeep with just the single battery in my Jeep (Sears Platinum Ultra) and that weld was still holding until recently cut off during the build. Good and cheap, just the way I like it!
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

OK 7018 might be a better rod.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                            Check for rust dust and paint crack around weld on all the suspension mounts.
                            Just put the Jeep on the rack. All welds are fine. After carefull inspection of the trac bar mount, I noticed it did NOT break from the factory welds; it broke from the frame that is past the welds.

I have it welded thoroughly from one side now and a few spots have the frame melted through. I couldn't reach the other side to weld it up so it still has the crack open on one side.

I'm going to grind down the welds, add some metal braces and reweld. I also noticed that my front shock is now busted but that's to be replaced anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                              I have the Ready Welder 10000ADP. I paid just over $400 with free shipping when I bought it. A little cheaper then the on board stick machines. Only needs 2 batteries.

http://www.readywelder.com/10000adp.php
                              I checked that out, not in the budget at the moment, getting 4.56's installed in a few days.

Going to purchase another battery, get the 7018 rods, welding gloves and the smoke goggles.

I'll practice this and see how the welds turn out.

Going to get a grinder too. My jeep is turning into a metal fab shop lol
                              Last edited by MrBash; 04-13-10, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X