Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do any kind of wheelin definatly put some sort of locker in the rear. It will make doing thingsoff road that much easier. If you dont plan on doing anything more than fire roads leave it open and most likely you dont need to regear either.

Comment

Go WITH "lockers"(NOT limited-slip,BTW)and never look back.
      Been running Det. lockers front and back for over 22 yrs. One of the best changes I made for sure.
      Respectfully,
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I just did the jump from 33's to 35's with a 4.0, 5spd and 3.73's. You will definately notice a power loss. I got the BFG 35's for $135 ea and didn't want to pass it up, I think it looks way better.
        I can still hold 5th gear on the highway at 75, but it takes a little longer to get there.

My plan this summer is to go to 4.56s since I don't rock crawl. If I did, I would go 4.88 from what I was told.

35's look great !

Comment

just a quick note but defiantly put at least a rear locker in. you may not think you need it. but it will make tricky situations more controlled and with less wheel spin. with that your likely to save wear and tear on the rig
          KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

FWIW: I have 33" BFG's w/4:56 and wish I had 48's instead
            Respectfully,
            LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
              FWIW: I have 33" BFG's w/4:56 and wish I had 48's instead
              Respectfully,
              LG
              DD ?
              I drive alot of highway and like going 75-80 without wining out too much.

Do you offroad alot ? rock crawl ?

Comment

Originally posted by spdnjoe View Post
                DD(yes it has been) ?
                I drive alot of highway and like going 75-80 without wining out too much.( what do you call "too much"?)

Do you offroad alot(YES, for the last 35 yrs.) ? rock crawl(love J/vly & Anza) ?
                I did forget or did not see what tranny your running.
                I have a T-5 and at 70MPH my OEM tach. sez about 2700 rpm and my I6 seems to like that.
                Respectfully,
                LG

Comment

Really with 35s or even 33s it is pretty dangerous to be driving 75-70. IMHO
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                    Really with 35s or even 33s it is pretty dangerous to be driving 75-70. IMHO
                    When I head to Ocotillo Wells up the 10 fwy, traffic is going 80+. I can very comfortably cruise 75-80 all day long with one hand. My wife cruises it 70 on the fwy all the time. It's as stable as can be. Unless its windy.

Comment

I agree with OU812, My Jeep will do 80+ but I'd hate to try making an emergency stop, turn, or have a tire blow out going that fast. These short wheel bases can get squirely real quick.

Years ago a buddy and I laid a M38A1 on its side by Knotts Berry Farm. Made a emergency stop/turn. We slid a long ways on our side before we came to a stop, If it had rolled all the way over instead of flopping on it's side and sliding I probably wouldn't be here to tell you about it.

All it'll take is one emergency stop, turn or a tire to let loose and I think you'll be agreeing with what we're saying? Hope you never have to experience it, Be Safe.

Comment

I completely understand what you guys are saying. I do have brand spanking new BFG A/T's.
                        I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but honestly, do you think there is a big difference between 65-70 and 75-80 if something were to let loose ?
                        Either way, your pretty much screwed. I just hate going 65MPH down the 10 FWY and some friggin semi comes by me at 75-80 and blows me out of my lane. Around town I usually cruise around 65-70.

thank you for your input guys.

Comment

I completely understand what you guys are saying. I do have brand spanking new BFG A/T's.
                          I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but honestly, do you think there is a big difference between 65-70 and 75-80 if something were to let loose ?
                          Either way, your pretty much screwed. I just hate going 65MPH down the 10 FWY and some friggin semi comes by me at 75-80 and blows me out of my lane. Around town I usually cruise around 65-70.

thank you for your input guys.
                          Hi, the diff. is stopping distance. And it's a BUNCH more from 65-70 to 75-80.
                          To say nothing about the ticket costs go way UP.
                          FWIW: I do kinda drive that way(75+)in my "city" car....
                          No one here wants to lose you to a crash!
                          Respectfully,
                          LG

Comment

Years ago there was a big pile up on the 10fwy going towards LA just after the 15fwy. It was one of those deals where the sun was just right and created a bad glare blinding everyone I guess. Well everybody slamed on their brakes and low and behold there was quite a few fender benders and rear end colisions. I also saw a older jeep laying on its side. I guess he also slamed on his brakes and lost control and floped it. I am covinced after seing that, these jeeps are not made to go fast or stop fast.Not mention fuel milege get worse the faster you go because your driving somthing that has the aerodynamics of a brick LOL.

Comment

Nice rig

I just did the jump from 33's to 35's with a 4.0, 5spd and 3.73's. You will definately notice a power loss. I got the BFG 35's for $135 ea and didn't want to pass it up, I think it looks way better.
                              I can still hold 5th gear on the highway at 75, but it takes a little longer to get there.

My plan this summer is to go to 4.56s since I don't rock crawl. If I did, I would go 4.88 from what I was told.

35's look great !

That looks nice!!
                              I am for sure switching to 35's once my 33's wear out; and I also will go with 4.56 gears.

Comment

35's look great !

I see on your profile that you have a 4 inch lift.
                                I have the 3 1/2 lift...you think adding 1/2 spacers will clear the 35's.? I really don't want a body lift.

Comment

Working...
                                X