Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 3.73 and 35's

I have 3.73 gears and running 33's with no problem and I'm able to use my 6th gear around town, Just wondering....would 3.73 gears be OK if I ran 35's?
    or will i hate it?

I guess it's true... once you put 33's on... you end up wanting to go bigger!!

i think u will be under geared. i have 355 with 32s and i hate it. 35 i a big jump from 33 wether u think so or not. most of the guys who run 33s usually have 4.10 gears.

Comment

ran 33's with 3.07's for awhile. not terrible, just dont try to drag race anyone off a light. Now that I have 33"/4:10/AX-15 I am envying your sixth gear quite a bit. Might want to look at one of those gearing charts. Chances are you are nowhere near as bad as 3.07/33" its more of a question of what fits how you use your jeep.
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Alfredo,

You will want lower gears if you go with taller tires. And I'm happy with 33's and have no plans to go bigger. No reason to at this time.

Mitch

Comment

What youll find is that you wont be able to go slow enough going down hills or in the rocks. Youre geared too high for your engine to hold you back.

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

That 6 speed is your friend here. With the 4.46 1st, you can get away with a bit less gear. X2, depends on your wheeling. I run 33's with 3.55's. My ratio of tire diameter to gear is the same as if you ran 35's with 3.73's. I have no problems with it. BUT, that's me in my rig. The 35's will mean considerably more money during new tire season. If it's a DD, keep tire wear and cost in mind.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

6 speed is lower geared in 1st(like a granny gear) and overdrive so it might work allright for you. But 4.56 or 4.88 would be ideal. Is it a 4cyl or a 6?

Comment

As Beau said 4.56 or 4.88 gears and you will be happy.
                35's and wheeling gets a bit costly, you go tires, then gears and axle shafts.

Comment

3.73 and 35's

Thanks guy's
                  It's seem that it will be very costly to jump to 35's
                  right now, I have so much more I want to do to my jeep, winch etc...I think I will go ahead and just save up for some gears (4.56) and then once the 33's I have now need to be replaced I jeep will be ready... who knows.. I might just want to put locker's also, will see.

I just can't believe with my six banger and manual Tran's that I still have the power and able to use my sixth gear with 33's, not complaining just happy!

Thanks again for all your inputs
                  Alfredo

Comment

6th gear in your 6 speed is lower than my 5th gear in my 5 speed In other words a 5 speed has more overdrive which drops the rpm more. I wish I had that low 1st gear though.

Comment

x2 on what Tammy said, I went from 3.55 to 4.56,s on 35,s and goin down a hill (STEEP) hill with 3.55,s I still needed a little brake, but with my new lower 4.56 gears I crawl down hills sometimes even need to give the skinny pedal a touch to speed me up..what a difference..
                      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                        What youll find is that you wont be able to go slow enough going down hills or in the rocks. Youre geared too high for your engine to hold you back.

Tam
                        $$$$ She said it all for us
                        Sarcasm is my body's natural response to stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post

Tam
                          Thanks Tam
                          I guess I will wait till fund's allow it

Comment

W/3:73's and 35" tires you are putting a bunch of load on your tranny, and that's NOT good for tranny life.
                            Respectfully,
                            LG
                            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                              W/3:73's and 35" tires you are putting a bunch of load on your tranny, and that's NOT good for tranny life.
                              Respectfully,
                              LG
                              Yes, I understand what you are saying, I will just wait till I can gear up, but I am not sure if I want to put lockers or not; will see.
                              Tires are brand new hopefully by the time they wear out I will have the gears in for the 35's

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X