Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember that a 10" rim does not really make the contact area of the tire wider, just wider at the bead. Your tire will stay on better with a 8" rim than with a 10" rim especially if you ever run 8 - 10 lbs of air. I never asked or worried about back spacing when I got my Mickey Thompson rims 3 years ago. Slapped them on, an inch wider than before, and never have popped a bead. I've pinched them down to the rim before running John Bull, Hairy Crack, Bullfrog, Heartbreak Ridge, Awesome Canyon.....Match the front width and run it.

Mitch

Comment

Actually having the rear narrower than the front is not a bad thing, that way the rear tire follow close to the same path as the front tire. You will notice when wheeling that most of the time when worming your way through rocks that the rear tire takes a bit of a wider path than where your front tire went. This would help that

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
        Remember that a 10" rim does not really make the contact area of the tire wider, just wider at the bead. Your tire will stay on better with a 8" rim than with a 10" rim especially if you ever run 8 - 10 lbs of air. I never asked or worried about back spacing when I got my Mickey Thompson rims 3 years ago. Slapped them on, an inch wider than before, and never have popped a bead. I've pinched them down to the rim before running John Bull, Hairy Crack, Bullfrog, Heartbreak Ridge, Awesome Canyon.....Match the front width and run it.

Mitch
        I assume you have 8" wheels? What back spacing is the Mickey Thompson?

Thanks

Comment

Art,

If I go with the 10" don't I want the 4.5" back space to make the tire stick out 1"? If it's 8" then I go with 3.5"? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Comment

Well first measure what you got and then go from there.
            Mine are 10" wide mickey thompson classics with 3.5" backspacing and I like the way it looks and handles.
            I had 8" wide rims on it before with 3.25" backspacing.
            It's about what you like and also to helps keep the front tires from rubbing on stuff when fully turned

Comment

4.5". I will check out the M.T thanks.

Comment

Ron,

I have no idea what it is. I liked the rims and bought them. They are the "Classic Lock" with has the rim protector (Fake beadlock look). Don't forget that if you can actually get the tire to widen (flatten) you would lose a small amount of heighth (ground clearance). But unless you are going to go from trails to rock climbing that would not matter. my .02 cents

Comment

I've always ran a 10 inch wheel. Jeep landcruiser. As to popping the bead, it hasn't been aproblem.

Comment

This might help your measurements Ron.
                    Just my :2:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott.

Kevin, what offset did you use?

Comment

Ron go with 3.5" or there about and you will be happy

Comment

Found a 3.8" Thanks Art.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                            That was my original thought. But I heard pro and con's about spacers. So, I thought about going with a wider wheel then. Hummm.
                            Some tire stores will NOT touch your car w/spacers on'em(America's Tire in Lan.Ca. is just one)
                            Respectfully,
                            LG
                            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I have run spidertrax spacers for two years, no problems.
                              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Yeah Curtis I've seen your spacers, but you just baby that Jeep! LMAO!

Comment

Working...
                                X