Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone run 10" wheels?

I was talking to someone today about his 10" wheels. He seems to like them. More stable as there stick out a little more than my 8" wheels. After I install my axle I know I will be shorter "x" amount and I wanted to make the stance a little wider. Does anyone else run 10" wheels? It looks like with a 10" wheel I will gain 1" on each side for 2" widder stance. Another option is just to do the rear and leave the front at an 8" wheel. Just looking for opinions from anyone who has this set up and how you like it?

Ron

Most people run 8" wheels....and for good reason. There less prone to poping off the bead when "aired down", the wider side walls protect the wheels a little better, and you get a little more side wall "flex" with the smaller wheel...and on a Jeep, that's not a bad thing.
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Use wheel spacers if you want a wider stance.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

What about a different offset on the 8"? If that would work, then what offset to get them to stick out 1" more?

I checked the ones I have now are 4.5" I think I measured it right.

Comment

Is your new back axle more narrow than the Dana 35 that came out of it? If so, I would space it out to match the front axle. YJ's track nicely, like the TJ's IMO.....The CJ's are a little narrow and "Tippy"....ask Chuck.

Comment

Thanks. That was my thought. I thought about new wheels anyways. And thought maybe changing the rear wheels to have a little different offset so they match the front.

Update:
            Found this.
            http://www.ehow.com/how_5110330_check-wheel-offset.html

So, my 8" wheels has a center depth of 4" and a flange depth of 4.5". So, I have a .5" offset?

Question?

On some of the wheels I see a 0B, 12B, and a 6B. Is that the offset?

Comment

The problem you would have using different offset wheels would be rotating them, and carring a spare. You want the same size tires, wheels, and wheel offset on every corner. Too much offset is hard on wheel bearings, and may cause some rubbing issues......

Comment

Good point. The balancing part I am ok with. Not the spare tire part. Hummm. Wheel bearing I am also ok with. I put 3000 a yr on her. No biggy. Maybe just do them all then.

Question? About the 0b and 6B and 12B. What is that?
                15X8 5-4.5 -12B
                15 wheel height
                8 wheel width
                5 lug
                4.5 bolt pattern
                12b?

Comment

Not sure about the 12 B thing......If your running 33s, the wheels that are on it are prob. fine...I'm assuming there are aftermarket wheels....just space out the rear axle to match the front and you will be fine.

Comment

That was my original thought. But I heard pro and con's about spacers. So, I thought about going with a wider wheel then. Hummm.

Comment

People run them everyday....Just get GOOD ones, and keep them TIGHT.

Comment

8" wide or 10 wide rims both work for 12.5" wide tires.
                        8" wide is preferred. I ended up with 10" rims on my yellow beastie no problems yet. Backspacing is more important to get the wheels to stick out a bit shoot for 3.25" or 3.5" backspacing

Comment

you run a 31x10.50 on a 8"rim "aired down"
                          you run a 33x12.50 on a 10" rim "aired down"
                          do the math x=2
                          respectfuly Rich
                          I'm refering to tire breaking the bead when "aired down"
                          nothing to do with back spacing or stance
                          Last edited by 4rheel; 04-04-10, 09:22 PM.
                          But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

Thanks Art,

When I measured for back spacing now. I measured from the "flange" where the lug nuts go in the back to the outside wheel lip. I got 4.5". I assume the 3.5" you stated is the same measurement and would get me the extra 1" I want?

Comment

Yup it would make the wheel stick out another inch

Comment

Working...
                              X