Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
    When you guys with the stock carriers get your replacement, I'd like to have one of the OEM carriers and the rubber spacers, so please don't throw them away.
    I have a 33 I'd like to mount on the tailgate.
    I have the rubber bumpers sitting in my spare parts box in the garage, your welcome to them.

If your not having an issue with the stock carrier and oversized tires, I am amazed.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

I've been using the Bestop <http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=28> for quite some time w/o any problems. Some drilling involved but the weight is not on the tail gate and it opens with the tail gate.

B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
        I have the rubber bumpers sitting in my spare parts box in the garage, your welcome to them.

If your not having an issue with the stock carrier and oversized tires, I am amazed.
        There is a terrible tire carrier on my wife's jeep that i want off of there and replace with stock carrier.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
          There is a terrible tire carrier on my wife's jeep that i want off of there and replace with stock carrier.
          I still have the stock one sitting in my garage, and seeing as how the rubber stoppers are over 2" away from the tire on the "new" mount I got, I don't see any way to extend those. PM me if you want the stock carrier and stoppers.
          -Justin

Comment

Justin, you could always get some extra rubber bumpers and cut them down to fit and just bolt them through each other.

When/If I get a spare carrier, it will be tub mounted. I just like the look and feel of those carriers for some reason.

Comment

I have a Wilderness rack by Garvin Industries. It is great. It holds my 33" tire, jack, two cans and ice chest with no problems! The bumper has protected the body from some pretty severe rock impacts. It will accept up to a 37" tire. Use this link: http://wildernessracks.com/

Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

before getting the WARN, I used the stock, with that funny looking adapter plate from 4wheel parts. Never had an issue.

I also had Dirtworx
                Jeep

Comment

Even with extended rubber bumpers to prevent my then 33" spare from flexing, my OE spare tire bracket cracked and failed within six months of installing a 33" spare. That's when I replaced it with ORF's (Off Road Fabricator) tub mounted spare tire (optionally holds two jerry cans). It doesn't actually mount to the tub itself like it looks, that wouldn't be strong enough. It is bolted through the tub to brackets on the inside that are bolted to the rollcage bases. I ran it 8+ years with a 35" spare and usually two full jerry cans and it was still rattle and sag free the last time I saw my TJ last month before it was stolen.

I REALLY liked that tub-mounted design and I never saw a single bumper mounted carrier I would have traded for. When closed, the spare tire is supported at three points and two points when open. A tire on a bumper carrier is only supported at two points when closed and one point when open.

I'm anxious to see Savvy's spare tire carrier they're working on, I understand it will be a tub mounted design as well. Should be pretty trick!
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks Jerry. I was really wondering how it mounts and is able to support the weight.

The only drawback I see to the OR Fab carrier is how far out the tire sits with the Jerry can holders. I'm leaning towards TNT, but waiting till I hear more from Blaine and Gerald about theirs.
                    -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_punk View Post
                      The only drawback I see to the OR Fab carrier is how far out the tire sits with the Jerry can holders.
                      I agree with that issue and I had made plans to convert it to the non-Jerry can style so it wouldn't stick out so far. In fact, I received the non-Jerry can style swingout the day my Jeep was stolen. It sits in my garage to this day still in its unopened shipping carton, a daily reminder of my stolen Jeep. :mad:

Comment

Such a bummer. I was (sort of) following the thread on JF. Without derailing too much, is it all getting sorted out for you?

Last December mine was stolen while Christmas shopping with my girlfriend. Stolen while full of Christmas presents. Luckily it was found 2 days later in Compton though. That was enough of a hassle for me, and mine was stock at the time. I can't imagine the crap you might be dealing with as far as insurance companies are concerned. Mine was a pain in the ass! Good luck with it all.
                        -Justin

Comment

No news other than AAA has assigned an independent appraiser to come up with a value of my TJ. At least the guy is up on Jeeps and knows the difference between cheap aftermarket stuff like ProComp and Smittybilt vs. what I had on mine.

Comment

Thats good at least. I had an adjuster when I got rear ended that looked at my rear shocks and said they were fine, when one of them was obviously kinked. That was a fun one.

Best of luck Jerry.
                            -Justin

Comment

Nice bumper! But...$500? OUCH!
                              http://tntcustoms.com/reartirecarriertjlj.aspx

Comment

Scott,

I put a OR-FAB rear tire carrier on and it is great! Zero movement while wheeling. Water and gas stay mounted low between the tire and tailgate and are nicely protected. A very secure way to go for a YJ.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                                X