Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub vs. Bumper mounted spare

I need a new way to mount my spare. I'm running 33x12.5s and I have a rugged ridge spare mount for the tailgate, but I hate my tire hanging off of it. It's OK for driving around town, but when it's time to go off roading I pull it off and strap it down inside the tub.

What are your opinions on a tub mounted carrier (Treks, OR Fab, or eventual Savvy carriers) vs a more traditional bumper mounted system (I've been eyeballing the Jeeperman with corner returns). How do the tub mounted ones mount? Is there any problem with coming down onto the tire and it possibly damaging the tub where it's mounted?

Thanks
    Last edited by mJUSTINm; 03-29-10, 02:20 PM.
    -Justin

Out of curiosity what is wrong with leaving it on the tailgate? Besides not liking it?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

are u talking about mounting inside the tub like in the cargo area or under the tub like on a pickup? i personally dontlike the tailgate either. i like my rear window to be open with nothing blocking my view. i have seen some guys mount the spare in the rear cargo area using a prerunner type spare mount for like a ranger. i like them but then u compromise losing your cargo space.

Comment

The stock tailgate mounts are intended for 28"? tires. When i got my jeep the tailgate was already deformed from the 31" tire the previous owner had on it.

I assume he wants an aftermarket tire carrier that will hold up to bigger meats and if he happens to back into something on the trail, wont damage the tub or come apart to where he has to find a place to carry the spare.

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
        Out of curiosity what is wrong with leaving it on the tailgate? Besides not liking it?
        "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

I have a dirtworx bumper and tire carrier. It is OK. But with the tire and some fuel cans and my HiLift it is too much weight to be held securely on the rear cross member. When I drive down the highway or washboard roads the whole thing moves back and forth flexing the rear cross member. My bumper has 2 framrail tie-ins and that is still not enough. My next tire carrier will be tub mounted for sure. I really like the ORFab carrier. And I am not going to wait for this bumper to need replacing. I’m going to take it off and sell it in order to buy a tub mounted tire carrier.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
            The weight. I can already see it flexing.

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
            are u talking about mounting inside the tub like in the cargo area or under the tub like on a pickup? i personally dontlike the tailgate either. i like my rear window to be open with nothing blocking my view. i have seen some guys mount the spare in the rear cargo area using a prerunner type spare mount for like a ranger. i like them but then u compromise losing your cargo space.
            Nope, a tire carrier like this one from Treks (formerly TnT)
            -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
              The stock tailgate mounts are intended for 28"? tires. When i got my jeep the tailgate was already deformed from the 31" tire the previous owner had on it.

I assume he wants an aftermarket tire carrier that will hold up to bigger meats and if he happens to back into something on the trail, wont damage the tub or come apart to where he has to find a place to carry the spare.
              Exactly. My 30x9.5 was fine on there. A week after driving with the 33x12.5 on there and it's strarting to pull at the hinges and latch. Not cool!
              Last edited by mJUSTINm; 03-29-10, 02:38 PM.
              -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                I have a dirtworx bumper and tire carrier. It is OK. But with the tire and some fuel cans and my HiLift it is too much weight to be held securely on the rear cross member. When I drive down the highway or washboard roads the whole thing moves back and forth flexing the rear cross member. My bumper has 2 framrail tie-ins and that is still not enough. My next tire carrier will be tub mounted for sure. I really like the ORFab carrier. And I am not going to wait for this bumper to need replacing. I’m going to take it off and sell it in order to buy a tub mounted tire carrier.
                That's what I'm afraid of, all that weight bouncing around. All I would hang off the back is the tire and a hi lift if I can. As far as Jerry cans, I'm thinking about getting those newer flat style ones (I can't remember what they were called or who made them at the moment) and mounting them inside somewhere in the cargo area.
                -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_punk View Post
                  The weight. I can already see it flexing.
                  Which part is flexing?

The stock carrier can hold a 33" tire with no problem. It begins to become an issue when you space it out off the rubber bumpers on the tailgate.

If your worried about weight, the stock carrier is the lightest you'll find.
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

It's pulling the tailgate forward and down. I'm worried about the weight of a 33 on the stock tailgate as it is, not the weight of adding a bumper/tire carrier.
                    -Justin

Comment

Even worse than pulling the hinges apart, when I had a stock spare, on pavement it tore up my lock and jammed it. I couldn't open the tailgate. Do anything but mount it to the tailgate no matter what size tire you're running.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_punk View Post
                        It's pulling the tailgate forward and down. I'm worried about the weight of a 33 on the stock tailgate as it is, not the weight of adding a bumper/tire carrier.
                        Must be an 03 and up thing.

I've been privy to the Savvy design idea, mostly in brainstorming. It's going to be pretty cool, but it might take a while to become reality. Whatever you do make sure the swing part tucks up tight to the tailgate and hits on some rubber stoppers or something. That'll go a long way to keeping it rattle free.
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I have a 33 on the stock carrier and it hasn't been sagging my tailgate at all. After upgrading tires, I made sure the 33 was still hitting the rubber stoppers on the tailgate to avoid excessive vibration of the mount, and the bottom of the tire actually fits perfectly to rest on the bumper enough to rub the paint off that portion of the bumper, but not cause any difficulty closing the tailgate.
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Yea, I've heard of some people having good luck with it and some not. I haven't noticed any real damage YET but why risk it?

I'd love to go with Savvy as I like the products, and Blaine and Gerald are good people, but I'm not entirely sold on a tub mounted swing yet.. especially since I don't have corner armor. If I did it would be a different story.
                            -Justin

Comment

When you guys with the stock carriers get your replacement, I'd like to have one of the OEM carriers and the rubber spacers, so please don't throw them away.
                              I have a 33 I'd like to mount on the tailgate.
                              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X