Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's the brakes, the sound should change significantly when you apply them.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

well i jacked the car up on all fours and put it in drive. the wheels were off so i could look and see what the f was going on. i watched the calipers move around and thought for sure it was the brakes. i even put my head by them just to listen to it. so i thought it was the front rotors were warped. NO. test drove it after replacing the brakes and still makes the noise. so this is where i need some veteran help. when i checked all of the fluids the front diff was way low. so now this is my concern. when i had the wheels off i could feel that something was wrong when i put my hand on the caliper. im now thinking that its the hub bearings. i know nothing about this front axle. its the one that has the cv type axles. when i was driving it i noticed a little more vibration in my gas pedal and it feels like its coming from the front. and it feels like im driving with the brakes on. how much shit is in there that could go bad. and how do i pull it apart and check it. i looked at the hub assembly and they are over 100 bucks. should i f with it or go to the boneyard. my pockets are really shallow now after all this other stuff. any ideas are going to help. i tried to look on line to see if i could find a repair manual to see how the front axle goes together. i dont even know where to start to take this thing apart. i also checked for play in the pinon yoke and no play in the wheels when i try to move them. so i have no clue what to look for.

Comment

When I had my F250 Diesel, I had to replace the hubs. Bearings were shot. They also made a horrible noise I thought were the brakes. I went with Warn if I remember right. It's tough when the noise is right there. If it's brakes, hub, or the axle bearings?

Comment

i pulled the front axle apart : took out the shafts and the wheel hubs. one of the whell hubs sounds like it could be bad and had some play in it and the drivers side cv boot on the axle was torn. going to the boneyard tomorrow.

Comment

Don't look for any axles. Well go soon!

Comment

im probably just going to get the cv axle and hubs. see if it helps.

Comment

well went to the bone yard and got the cv axle shafts and the wheel hubs and i didsnt solve the problem. W.T.F. the only thing i can see now is that the boot on the front c.v. drive sghaft is disconnected and that there is little grease in it. im going to pull if off tomorrow and drive it to see if it still makes that noise. any other ideas u guys might think of will help me out.

Comment

oh and this is no longer about the rear end. now its personal.

Comment

You say the "front diff. was way low", why haven't you checked that out?
                    Respectfully,
                    LG
                    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Eliminate possibilities. Just pull the front d/s and axle assemblies. Drain the diff so it won't leak out the tubes. Drive normally. If you still have the sound/vibes, check for play in the unit bearings. Lift ONE tire off the ground, grab it at 6 and 12 o,clock, push and pull to feel for play. Do the same at 3 and 9 o'clock. Top to bottom is ball joints or unit bearings, side to side is tie rod ends. Do this on both sides. If it has over 100,000 be suspicious of the unit bearings.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

i tired all of that i pulled the diif cover and the axles out completely. there is no play in the pinon yoke and i replaced the axles and hubs. i spun the pinon to look for wear also didnt see anything. put in the new axles and hubs and filled up the diff with fresh oil. dont know where else to look.

Comment

Is there any way you could record this "noise" and post it ?
                          How many miles on your "junk" and what is the T/case history like ?
                          Respectfully,
                          LG
                          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                            Eliminate possibilities. Just pull the front d/s and axle assemblies. Drain the diff so it won't leak out the tubes. Drive normally. If you still have the sound/vibes, check for play in the unit bearings. Lift ONE tire off the ground, grab it at 6 and 12 o,clock, push and pull to feel for play. Do the same at 3 and 9 o'clock. Top to bottom is ball joints or unit bearings, side to side is tie rod ends. Do this on both sides. If it has over 100,000 be suspicious of the unit bearings.
                            Do Not remove the outer stub axles and drive on it! the outer stubs hold the unitbearing together.
                            *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

cant i just take out the front d.s. and see if its the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                                Do Not remove the outer stub axles and drive on it! the outer stubs hold the unitbearing together.
                                x2... look what can happen: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...56&postcount=1
                                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X