Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just drilled a hole on each side of my fender will behind the back seat, put bolts in with the (pardon my terminology) round head and square inner part of the head... sorry.... facing upward and used some sealant to hold it tight and used washers and spacers. drilled a hole through one of the bolts for a lock and bolted that sucker down. honestly my hilift doesnt make any noise whatsoever... its new though. maybe thats why. also velcro your handle to the jack.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I like keeping it inside the Jeep out of the weatheer. The bolts you are thinking of Kevin are carriage bolts.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Odd how things happen. I had a 2 month old shock break today which let the coil spring fall out of it's spot. I would not have been able to get the spring back inw/o the Hi-Lift today.

Comment

Chris,

Nice easy install. I bet you will feel better having it along. I've used mine several times and will always carry it.

Mitch

Comment

Chris,
            Are the clamps fitting around the roll bar tube okay? I have some thick rubber we could cut into strips to go between the clamp and the roll bar if you need it a little tighter.

I think of a high lift jack as a first aid kit or a tool bag. I hope I never need them but it's good to be prepared if you ever do!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

So far it's ok. I used the jack today to dismount a tire from a rim. I'm such a redneck.

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                Odd how things happen. I had a 2 month old shock break today which let the coil spring fall out of it's spot. I would not have been able to get the spring back inw/o the Hi-Lift today.
                I'll bet you a hundred bucks I can get a coil spring back into either the front or rear perches on your TJ with nothing more than regular hand tools and the stock bottle jack.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Hi-Lift dont leave home without it

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                  This hi lift has saved my arse several times in the past. Now that I'm getting back out in the desert again I'd really like to bring it with me.
                  Inside of your rig or out,.. keep it on your rig not in a garage. if it's out side carry a small can of WD-40 or something similar. Trust me, at some point and time you WILL need it. Kinda like all the other stuff I/we carry that most of the time is not needed but when it is you are glad you have it to say the least. Tire plug kit,tools,u-joints as well as ??? the list is endless. I say carry it.PERIOD.
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                    I'll bet you a hundred bucks I can get a coil spring back into either the front or rear perches on your TJ with nothing more than regular hand tools and the stock bottle jack.
                    two small ratchet straps work well too,...quick and easy.
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                      Blaine, can you elaborate on this technique? I had a spring fall out a couple years ago on a snow run and even a complete poser rock perched up didn't let the driver's side droop enough to get the spring back on, we still had to use a hi-lift to get a little more.

I'd prefer not carry my hi-lift, but still usually do.
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I'm thinking bottle jack placed on top of the axle. I've done that a few times to get springs out.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          Blaine, can you elaborate on this technique? I had a spring fall out a couple years ago on a snow run and even a complete poser rock perched up didn't let the driver's side droop enough to get the spring back on, we still had to use a hi-lift to get a little more.

I'd prefer not carry my hi-lift, but still usually do.
                          Once upon a time at Fun in The Desert we had a YJ break a D-35 axle 10 miles from the lakebed. We strapped up the broken side by having a bunch of folks sit on that side of the rig and then strapped the axle up. Then we disconnected the e-brake cable from the other side and set the e-brake hard. We then aired down the broken side tire and the opposite tire in the front as well as airing up the other two to street pressure.

He had two passengers which we scooted together on the passenger seat for some weight on that side.

He was able to drive it that way back to camp with no further damage.

All I'm saying is there are many ways to be creative that don't require a hi-lift and although I've never popped a spring back in with a bottle jack on a stock rig, I have no doubt given the right motivation I could easily do it. I'd start by removing the opposite corner tire though.
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                          X