Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Give me some hilift jack mount ideas.

I'm thinking that I should start carrying my Hilift jack with me. I don't want it on the hood.

I saw a TJ today that had it mounted on the stock rear bumper so I'm considering that. I think having it inside and rattling would drive me nuts because I'm OCD about rattles.

I've got a stock TJ with stock bumpers.

Ideas?

I think this is a good idea, and to stop it from rattling wrap some plastic wrap around it.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_9002.htm
    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Leave it at home. Plenty of people carry them on the trail and can't wait to for a chance to break them out. Carried mine for 2 and a half years and never used it. Stock jack works better for changing flats and much safer.

Comment

Not the hi-lift jack is unsafe/ sucks debate again? If used improperly, scissors, chainsaws and winches can be dangerous too. For instance, never run with scissors, chainsaws, or winches. Then again, I've run with both scissors and chainsaws and never had an incident. Hoping I never have to run with a winch.

The good thing about mounting it inside is it's more likely to stay cleaner longer. I would avoid mounting it horizontally on either bumper, because that's going to get it very crusty in a hurry, and a crusty hi-lift jack is not fun (or particularly safe) to use. Currently I'm carrying my hi-lift in the back cargo area of my TJ, strapped down with my spare. I've used it numerous times--for me it works great for changing tires.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

I kinda agree with TJ Clay. I have used my jack for pulling tree stumps out at my house, installing my rock sliders, installing my body lift, but never on the trail. I do have one and will carry it if I wheel alone, but for the most part it stays in the garage. It's not my intent to mooch off others, but Clay's dead on with his comment that there are a lot of folks out there who love to jump in a help out. Thank you trail hero's! Even a winch is iffy to purchase if you rarely go by yourself.

Comment

This hi lift has saved my arse several times in the past. Now that I'm getting back out in the desert again I'd really like to bring it with me.

Comment

I think these brackets will give you a few options. They show it on the front of the front bumper, but I think I would go on top if I had stock bumpers without lights. I'm not sure, but mounting on the top of a rear bumper may interfere with the spare tire.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_04.htm

Comment

Those high lift jack mounts installed on the front bumper become weapons! cars with the plastic bumpers back in to those protruding bolts and pull away with 1/2" holes perforating them! ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
                  Leave it at home. Plenty of people carry them on the trail and can't wait to for a chance to break them out. Carried mine for 2 and a half years and never used it. Stock jack works better for changing flats and much safer.
                  X2, that is my experience too. My Hi-Lift has been providing a home in my backyard shed for the resident Black Widow spider for 6-7 years now.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I use my Hi-Lift all the time. So much so that I need to find some wing nuts to hold it on my mount. Takes too long to pull off those acorn nuts. Its the only jack I carry and has served me quite well.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I used to have mine mounted to the rear roll bars using conduit clamps and bolts with wing nuts. Lots of people use fence post clamps for the same thing.

Similar to the ones mrchips linked for a lot less money. I used a velcro strip wrapped tightly around it to stop rattles.
                      "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I got some fence post clamps, bolts and wingnuts today. My only issue is that the clamps only come in 1 7/8 or 2 3/8 and my rollbar is 2.25. Oh and the wingnuts are pretty small so I need plyers to tighten them. I got the larger clamps and put them on the roll bar and over the padding thats on the roll bar to take up some of the space.

I put some foam pipe insulation on the handle to stop the rattles. So far I'm in for less than $10. I'll know in a few days if it's going to work ok.

Comment

I think it works in principle, but those clamps/brackets look a little lightweight for the jack. Maybe it's just the photo, but the jack looks a little dry for my taste.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                            Maybe it's just the photo, but the jack looks a little dry for my taste.
                            That jack is an Antique! I've had it probly 20 years and it's been used for everything. Before I put it in the Jeep I lubed the pins up and it's working fine.

So far the mounts have not moved. I'm keeping an eye on them but even after several trips up and down my dirt road it's ok.

Comment

It should be fine. I've seen plenty of folks do it that way without a problem.
                              "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Working...
                              X