Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with a free co2 bottle and loved it. The company I buy Co2 from convinced me that I should be using nitrogin and not Co2 so they traded me tanks. Now I only get 7 fill-ups per bottle so in reality It's only good for one trip. I'm thinking of going back to Co2
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

The cheapest viable and reliable solution is a MV 50 compressor, It's cheap and plenty reliable carry it in the back or mount it on the tray under the master cylinder. If you want to get real carried away you can run an air line from the compressor to the outside.
      The only downside to a MV 50 is that it will or should not make more than 90 psi so finding a pressure switch to make it cycle automatically will be a chore. Other than that it's a very reliable and affordable solution to airing up your tires. A Via air 400 or 450 is not a whole lot faster just a whole lot more expensive. Even with a CO or Nitrogen bottle it's not a bad idea to carry one of the MV 50's for less than 70 bucks it makes a great backup for a street/ trail Jeep

Comment

Got my mv 50 off ebay new from a "store" for 17 bucks + 13 shipping if I remember right.

Comment

Wow I feel gypt for paying $45 on Amazon for my MV 50. I built a sanden oba now. I like that It is always there. I don't have to remember how many fill ups I have on a Co2 tank before I hit the trail. And it is very compact. The MV 50 is so reliable that I think sometimes that I should have just mounted it in the Jeep. I still carry it as a backup for the sanden though.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            I started with a free co2 bottle and loved it. The company I buy Co2 from convinced me that I should be using nitrogin and not Co2 so they traded me tanks. Now I only get 7 fill-ups per bottle so in reality It's only good for one trip. I'm thinking of going back to Co2
            I can think of several ways to get even with that company, but you should at least get them to give you another nitrogen tank of the same size and for the same price as a single fill every time you go in because I don't believe they did you any favors.

I typically encourage folks to shy away from nitrogen because it's not nearly the same fill volumes and the tanks are much higher pressure which makes them more dangerous.

A C02 tank generally maxes out at around 1000 psi and IIRC, nitrogen is about 2.5 times higher.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

I had a Viair 400 in my Land Rover and currently have a Viair 450 in the Jeep. The 450 struggles with the 35" tires on my Jeep. Takes bloody forever. The 400 has a higher flow rate (CFM) though lower duty cycle. The flow rate makes all the difference. the 450's strength with the higher duty cycle is that it can run for hours without overheating. Unfortunately, it needs too!
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I picked a 20 lb Co2 tank off a Jeep board and the welding shop I took it to get filled only gave me 10 lb tank back. I had spoken to Blaine about it when I first got the tank and he told me I would hate the 20 lb tank. Too big and heavy. He sent me to a friend of his that had a fire ext shop and set me up with the regulator and mount. Sits right behind the rear seat and always reliable. $20 to fill.
                Total initial investment $150.

Comment

x5 on the MV 50. I mounted it in the engine compartment as a back up in case I run out of CO2. Great little compressor for the price.
                  Check out .

Comment

I just go wheeling with Mitch.... and use his oba.... so total investment $0... I just have to wait my turn... lol lol lol....

but I do have a C02 set up, which I need to install... but gonna go the ac compressor set up one day...
                    [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                    PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

I have the MV 50 and it works great. Just slow.

Can the MV 50 be hooked up to a VIAR 2gal tank? The tanks are $64.99. If I could hook it up to mine it would be great.

Comment

Turns out that's what mine is--an MV-50. I think it went by a different name when I bought it. Typhoon or tsunami or something goofy like that. Hard to beat it for the money. With the help of a ratchet strap and my boot, I've used it to reseat the bead on my tires several times, both at home and one the trail.

I'd look for a tank that meets your needs and isn't relabeled with something like Viair, ARB, or whatever off-road brand. $70 is way too much for a dinky little 6-gal tank that you're probably going to smash on a rock.
                        Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-30-10, 08:40 PM.
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

you can hook the little red compressor to an air tank if you find a check valve and a pressure switch that kicks of before 90 psi

Comment

not sure if this is beating a dead horse but here is a link for that compressor. http://www.4x4wire.com/4x4-projects/...v50-compressor
                            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Cool write-up. I think the most useful mod i have seen for the MV-50 was done by inVERt'D. He took the head off and swapped used the larger intake port for the hi pressure side. This allowed him to use a standard hose fitting instead of the Chinese one that only works with the hose that came with it.

I have to say though that if I were going to do the whole thing over again with my sanden oba, I might just do the viar setup instead.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                                Cool write-up. I think the most useful mod i have seen for the MV-50 was done by inVERt'D. He took the head off and swapped used the larger intake port for the hi pressure side. This allowed him to use a standard hose fitting instead of the Chinese one that only works with the hose that came with it.
                                Thanks for the credit, but you must be thinking of someone else. Actually what I'd figured on doing (hopefully before the plastic hose finally cracks) is to weld a standard quick release hose fitting onto the threads of that oddball one. Another way would be to drill out the hole in the head and tap it.
                                holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                                X